Roles on the Ship

Roles on our pirate ship of joy and fun!!

Captain

-An0n

It's- i'ts the captain- she captains ig idk

First mate

-Mania

First Mate had rank just below the Captain. He would take control of the ship if the Captain could not perform his duties any longer.

Quartermaster

-Foxy

After Captain, the most authority on a pirate ship had Quartermaster. As a Captain's right hand, he was in charge when Captain was not around. He had the authority, and he could punish men for not obeying commands.

Boatswain

-Can-Ar-Cloud-Kookie

Boatswains were junior officers. They were people who supervised all activities on a ship. Depending on the size of the ship and crew, they could have one or several duties. Duties ranged from anchoring to naval provisions. They reported to the Quartermaster or the Captain.

Surgeon

-Rose-Angel -Kyr

The pirate ships usually did not have surgeons aboard. Those that had them probably pressed surgeons into service. From surgeons, crew expected, to help them with diseases and wounds. Without proper medicines, every wound could become a source of infection, so amputations were often necessary in order save patient's life

The Helm

-Mystery

The helmsman was the person who steered the ship  

Sailing Master/Navigator

-Wren 

Sailing Masters were officers in charge of navigation and piloting. It was a very hard job because charts in those days were usually inaccurate or nonexistent. Education was required and on non-pirate ships, it was a well-paid job.

Master Gunner/Master-at-Arms

-Pheonix

Master Gunners were in charge of all of the cannons, the gunpowder, the shot, and everything else that had to do with keeping the cannons in working order.

Gunners

-Veela -Madds-Koke-Star-Anna

Gunners were skilled people who aimed the guns (cannons) on a ship. In some instances a master gunner would give orders to other gunners on how to set their guns during a broadside. It took years of practice to become a good gunner.

Carpenter

-Aoxy

kept the ship afloat, making necessary repairs, filling holes if need be, and so on. Carpentry was an extremely useful skill onboard ship and good carpenters were highly valued.

Musicians

-Kos

-Figgy

Cook

-Dogge-Sapl-Theo-Mersh

Deckhand

-CH-Kape -Goolag-Monday -SH