Incognito Part 1

Taylor Alison Swift is the only daughter of Andrea and Scott Swift. She graduated at the top of her class from Harvard and graduate studies at Oxford University. She is beautiful, tall with long legs, long blonde lustrous hair, clear skin, deep blue eyes, pouty plump lips and sex appeal. Fashion designers vie for her attention and have been invited to walk the runway. She could give fashion models a run for their money. Taylor has a mind of her own and has always been regarded as an independent woman. People like her because of her loveliness inside and out. 

Taylor had noticed the disparity in the way people at work were treated by others. People who looks nice, dresses well are often provided with better positions in the job market. The pay disparity is also glaring. The better you look the quicker you get promoted. Less fashionable and not too pretty ones are left behind even if they are smarter or more qualified than the better looking person. Knowing the right people could also hasten you promotion or getting hired. In her mind this is discrimination even their own company is guilty of practicing.

She approached her father, Scott Swift to transfer her into the LA branch to monitor the unfair practice in hiring and promoting staff.

"Taylor, people knows you are my daughter. I think they will gravitate to you and treat you better than anyone else. So what's the sense in you working for me and try to change the company practice."

"Dad, I will be incognito. I will not use my real name. I will change my looks and my voice. I will be your eyes and ears in the office. It's about time to acknowledge deserving people in the company. I need you to place me in an entry level job with chances for lateral promotion. We will gradually abolish this practice of unfairness."

A few weeks later Taylor is in LA working as a data entry clerk in the company.

"Hi, is this seat taken?" Taylor asked in a soft, wavering voice.

"Yes and all the other seats around me." the man rudely answered, looking at Taylor up and down noting her long skirt and cardigan, frizzy blonde hair, sallow skin, oversized eyeglasses making her eyes double its size.

She moved to the next table and a dark haired overly made up woman told her bluntly "These seats are occupied" then giggled like teenagers taking in Taylor's appearance.

"Over here" she heard and saw a red head and a brunette Latina waving to her.

"Thank you so much. I was not allowed to share a table over there. I'm Alison from New York. I'm new here." She reached out here hand and shook hands with the other two.

"I'm Selena and I come from San Diego. This is Abigail from Pennsylvania. Welcome to the company".

"Is it nice working here? I have met the human resources officer  Tree and she seems nice and accommodating."

"Tree is always nice. She treats us like her equal. 

While they were talking, a good looking blonde passed by, smiling at them. Abigail and Selena swooned and smiled back at the man.

"That is Joe Alwyn. He is the VP for operations. He is British, single and available. Girls like him a lot and would throw themselves at him just to gain his attention. But he seems not interested in anybody. It's all work and no play for him. He's one of the nice people here. That girl who shunned you on that table has the hots for him. her name is Kimberly  but wants to be called Kimber. She had been trying to get close to Joe but he is always a gentleman.

Taylor/ Alison followed the retreating figure of Joe. His name and face looks quite familiar but Taylor could not immediately recall his identity.

Her first day of work was hectic. Being the latest hire, she was given the most workload for the day. She took a long relaxing bath with sweet smelling body foam, scented candles by Jo Malone, the best bath and body products available are arranged neatly in her luxurious bathroom. Music and wine soothed her senses making her relaxed and be at ease.

After her relaxing bath, Taylor covered herself with the softest most comfortable silk pajamas and robe. It was enough pampering to end the first day at work.

Taylor drove to work in a trusted Honda sedan. beige, small, not enough to attract attention. Her attire is an ill fitting high water pants, beige blouse, scuffed black ballet flats and a cardigan. Her hair is tied with a pink ribbon with several hair strands falling down her face. Th only make up she applied is a pink lip gloss.

Eyes were on her looking her up and down with mocking looks and smirks from people around her. Nobody would stand beside her until she felt a presence near her. She looked up to the oceanic blue eyes of Joe Alwyn looking at her and giving her a smile. Taylor blushed and immediately averted her eyes into a spot on the wall. The elevator opened and people rushed to get in. Joe allowed Taylor to get in and stood closely to him hugging her pocketbook on her chest. Joe glanced at her once again amused with the shyness he is witnessing. 

"Are you new here? I have never seen you here before." Taylor could hardly believe that the Joe Alwyn is talking to her.

She nodded her head and softly answered "yes". The other passengers were surprised to hear Joe talking to the fashion wreck. Some were snickering and rolling their eyes. Taylor got off on the 13th floor giving Joe a shy smile while he nodded his head.

The person in charge of the clerks is Kimberly, Joe's number one fan. She eyed Taylor with disdain making some employees uneasy but some were glad because Kimberly's ire is on somebody else. Selena and Abigail looked at Taylor with compassion and pity, shaking their heads with the unfair treatment of their new friend.

The annual board meeting was scheduled for the next two weeks. Joe is in charge of presenting the reports and he and his PA were neck deep in preparation for the upcoming event. "Martha,  call the clerical pool and ask for a data entry clerk to assist us. Do it right away."

Kimberly was more than happy to assign Taylor to Joe's office. She is not a threat and she wants her to be overwhelmed and maybe leave for good. 

"Alison, come with me. I am assigning you into Joe's office for a few days. They need assistance from somebody like you. Filing and data entry is all you're capable of doing anyway." Kimberly's word and tone of voice made Taylor squeeze her hands tightly in order to stop herself from answering back.

"Quick, I don't have time for your laziness. I don't have all day to wait for you." Kimberly frowned tapping her heels while Taylor did her best to take her stuff and followed her meekly.

"Hi Martha. Is Joe in? This is Alison and she will be assigned here. Just be patient with her. She is new and hardly knows anything." Martha frowned upon hearing Kimberly's insult. She smiled at Taylor, "Thank you for your help. We really need you."

Kimberly pushed Joe's office, not waiting for Martha to announce her and cheerfully greeted Joe. "Hi, Joe, I assigned the new clerk to you. You need to break her in being new and slow." She started flirting by playing with her black long hair and batting her false eyelashes at Joe.

"Thank you Kimberly. You can leave now. We are busy, doing what we need to do. Find something useful to do for a change." Martha and Taylor smirked and tried to hide their faces, trying not to laugh out loud. Kimberly left in a huff glaring at Taylor.

"I'm Alison, I just started last week. I hope I could be of help." Taylor said in a soft voice.

" I'm Joseph Matthew Alwyn. You can call me Joe. Welcome to Swift Industries. Martha and I really need your help. By the way, not everybody here are mean." Joe reached out his hand and gave Taylor a firm hand shake. Taylor felt like melting feeling Joe's hand on her own.

A new character will be introduced next chapter and sparks fly when their eyes meet.