Chapter 5

Maggie stared out the window as the sky turned from black to dusky grey. Her eyes ached from crying. The look on Will's face was etched behind her eyelids. It had nearly broken her resolve. But what could she have said? Told him to leave his family and the woods, and his homestead, and find some way to earn enough money to secure the kind of future she craved? That if he could do that, she'd marry him?

No. It was far less cruel to endure the loss of her best friend than set him up for a life of failed expectations and resentment. She loved him, deeply, and it broke her heart to let him go. But, even as the tears traced trails down her cheeks, the strangling tightness in her chest that had been building with each hardship of her childhood, loosened a fraction. If she went with Will,  the struggles they would face would build up inside her and eventually choke the life from her. It was kinder to both of them to set them free of each other.

Footsteps on the stairs outside the parlour made her hastily wipe her tears. Calen came through the doorway, drawn by the dim glow from the lamp on the table beside her. 

"Maggie?" he said in surprise, "I thought it'd be William up fer sure. Likely her was snoozin' afore the..."

Maggie's lip began to quiver at the mention of Will's name and Calen trailed off when he came close enough to see the state she was in.

"Maggie, what is it?"

She managed one broken breath as she tried to stifle her tears. "Will... he's gone."

Understanding dawned on Calen's face, but it was the look of sympathy that followed close behind that was her undoing. A sob broke through. Behind it was another, and another, until she was weeping openly, her whole frame shaking.

Calen scrambled to the settee beside her and gathered her into his arms as well as he could manage, navigating her crumpled ball gown's flounces. "Hush, Mags," he comforted. His hand rubbed the middle of her back. "There now."

Eventually, the sobs quieted. She released her grip on his shirtsleeves. He gave her back a final pat and leaned back from her. The look in her eyes made his heart hurt. He could vividly recall what she was feeling now. He wouldn't wish it on anyone in the world.

"Ye'll be hurtin' a long while, I know." He stuck a finger under her chin. "The others are up soon, so unless ye want them tuttin' about and castin' pitying glances, ye might want ta go up and fix yer face."

Maggie let out a surprised scoff that was nearly a chuckle. She nodded.

Easing back into the settee, he watched her go. It was unfortunate timing for him. He had long suspected Will would have to face the formal sting of rejection from Maggie, but he had always planned on being there to support both of them when it happened. If he was in the middle of the woods, he could offer none of his hard won advice from his personal experience. 

The very recollection of that time made him tense. He'd thought he would be angry for the rest of his days after Christine had broken their engagement. And that had seemed insignificant in comparison to losing Micara, even for such a short while. Maybe it was best for him not to be involved after all. If Will's feelings were anything like Calen's, he would have no council to give, for he had no idea what he would have done without Cara.

The shuffle of slippers on the stairs caught his attention, and Micara appeared, as if summoned by his thoughts. Her face lit as their eyes met. His heart beat faster as she neared, and he stood to greet her. With the thoughts of loss harrying him, he didn't try to quell the desire for closeness. He met her with a fervent kiss before pulling her into a fierce embrace, seeking both affection and reassurance.