Stakeout

Jared and Michaela, still partners since Drea wasn't back yet, were on their way to stakeout a building. They were assigned to stay there for the night before they swapped out with another team.

"This should be fun," Jared said sarcastically when they got there.

"Oh, they always are. Only 6 more hours to go," Michaela responded with the same sarcasm.

"Well, it will give me a chance to catch up on some paper work, at least."

"Yeah, me too."

***

"You look tired, you going to make it?" Jared smiled at her. Her head was resting against the window.

"Oh. Yeah, I'm sorry." She lifted her head, embarrassed.

"No, it's okay. I'll wake you if anything exciting happens," he joked.

"Alright, but I think I'll stay awake," she laughed.

"The night shift for stakeouts sucks. I would love to be at home in bed right now. I don't mind if you want to go to sleep, I won't tell," he offered.

"No, that's not fair to you," Michaela responded.

"Okay, but I really don't think you're going to make it all night, we still have 2 hours."

"Don't doubt me," she said, jokingly defensively.

"Okay," He held up his hands.

She was asleep within the next ten minutes, her head leaning back against the headrest. Jared smiled when he noticed. He hoped this meant she still felt comfortable and safe with him. He watched her sleep for a minute.

***

"Mick... Mick..." Jared said softly, his hand on her shoulder.

"What?" she asked quietly, confused. "Oh," she said as she quickly sat up. "I'm so sorry I fell asleep."

"No, don't apologize. I told you I didn't mind. I just wanted to wake you up before the other team gets here."

"Thanks."

"Yeah, no problem. Oh, there they are. I'll take you home then."

"Okay," Michaela responded, she rested her head in her hand.

"Mick... Mick..." Jared laughed. "Mick." She fell asleep again.

"Oh, I'm sorry... again. Uh, thanks." She opened the car door.

"No problem. Goodnight, Mick."

"Goodnight, J."