Chapter 1

Annabeth POV:

BEEP BEEP BEEP

I have never admired the dreading the sound of the monotone alarm clock before. Today is the first day of grade 12 in Goode High.

I love school. I love knowledge. Books. Architecture. I love it all. I mean, I'm not those loser nerds who sit at the back of the cafeteria with no friends. I'm a smart, athletic, and beautiful person. Everyone adores me. 

I hopped out of bed, took a shower and went through my makeup routine. I slapped on a pink crop-top with a grey skirt and headed downstairs. I was greeted by my step-mom and my dad, as well as my annoying brothers. I grabbed an apple and walked out the door.

Since my dad was about to have a work meeting, I had to take the bus.

I walked to the bus stop and met up with some of my friends. I saw Clarrise La Rue and Calypso at the bus stop waiting. 

"Hey!" I called out.

"Whattup," Clarrise replied with only one earbud in, "why are you taking the bus?"

"My dad has some work thing," I reply.

"Well," Calypso pipes in, "Piper and Rachel are probably driving like always."

After we have a small conversation, we hop on the bus and make our way to the back.

We sit beside the jocks: Jason Grace, Leo Valdez, and Chris Rodriguez.

We sometimes hang out, but not as much as our usual group. We all knew that we shipped each other. Jason and Piper both crushed each other, Clarrise had a crush on Chris, and Leo had a crush on Calypso. Me? I'm not ready for a relationship yet. A year ago, I dated someone named Luke Castellan. I caught him cheating on me with another girl, so we broke up and went separate ways.

I dazed off for a bit on the bus and gained my consciousness back when Clarrise aggressively shook me.

"Let's go smartypants! We can't have you late on your first day. We need you to be on the teacher's good side. We need you for answers." She said patting me on the shoulder.

We trotted our way into the school, having everyone staring at us. In our school, everyone treated us and the jocks like kings and queens. We pretty much owned the place. 

We caught up with Piper and Rachel and checked our schedules. It turned out we pretty much had the exact same schedule apart from our electives.

"Great, math first," Piper groaned, "I forgot my calculator!"

"Don't worry, we got an Annabeth" Rachel winked at me.

We headed into our math class and sat at the front. The teacher walked in the class as the bell rang.

"Hello class," he said, "my name is Mr.Johnson and-"

Percy POV:

Today was probably the worse day ever. I woke up to the sound of a beer bottle smashing and my step-dad screaming.

"Sally! Get me another bee or I swear I'll kill you!" My step-dad Gabe screamed

"Your drunk! You'll end up in the hospital. And we barely have enough money!" My mom said. back in a sympathetic tone.

I jumped downstairs and saw my mom crying in the corner with my dad watching the football replays. 

"What in the hell did you do to her!" I screamed.

"Why would you care kid," he scoffed back.

"Percy," my mom said quietly, "let it go."

I decided to stop arguing and brought my mom to her room. I sat her down in her bed, and let her rest a bit.

I went back down and turned off the TV.

"What the hell kid!" my step-dad roared.

"Apologize to her!" I roared back.

What happened next was history. He got up and whacked my back with his beer bottle. It smashed into pieces leaving a huge bruise on my back and cuts on my arm. 

My step-father scoffed and went back to watching football. I went back upstairs and changed. Today was my first day at this new school my mom signed me up. I didn't want everyone seeing my arm cut and everything, so put on a green hoodie, and black ripped jeans.

I kissed my mom goodbye, and went out of the house through my window.

I took my mom's car to school and was 5 minutes late.

I checked my schedule and raced to math class.

"Hello class," the math teacher said, "my name is Mr.Johnson and-"

I burst into the class, and everyone was staring at me. I heard some murmurs about the new kid, which I was guessing was me.

"Um. Mr-" he began.

"Jackson," I responded.

"So, Mr.Jackson, your late," He said strictly, "anyways, would you like to introduce yourself."

"Uh, my name is Percy. Percy Jackson." I began, "and um, yeah."

"Short and sweet," Mr.Johnson said smiling.

The teacher continued, "Alright alright, settle down everyone, class is starting."