Chapter 9

Edited

Alex's POV

Luminating the stars, his eyes... no. I crumbled up the paper, tossing it into the trash bin next to me. Looking at my watch, I realized I only had a half hour to finish the poem for English. I tossed my head back, sighing heavily. Why was this so hard? I had the perfect idea, but now my mind was entangled with so many thoughts and emotions; I couldn't think straight. I sat there, staring blankly at the new piece of paper. Austin kissed me. Elias's been ignoring me. I've been ignoring Austin. My life was becoming my own personal soap opera, and I needed it to stop.

I wasn't sure how I felt about Austin kissing me, but I liked it. His lips were soft; they felt like gentle parting clouds. But then I saw Elias. His face was beyond unreadable. He just stood there and watched. His face was flushed and unmoving, but beneath the skin, I could tell he was burning with rage. His caramel eyes were blazing with fury. When I tried to talk to him, he looked past me as if he was erasing me from existence. He would completely ignore me. I tried to explain, but he wouldn't let me.

My eyes widened with disturbing enthusiasm. The ideas flowed from my aching heat to the pen. When I finished, I smiled at the paper like I figured out life after death. Maybe this will get through to him. Standing up, I stuffed the page into my bag and headed toward my locker. Being the klutz I am, I stumbled into a large figure and fell.

"Shit," I muttered grabbing my books. I looked up to see Elias staring down at me. His eyes blinked quickly, processing that I was on the floor. But he didn't swoop down to help me. He stood there and just watched. Huffing, I grabbed my books and stood up.

"Thanks," I grumbled. Without a word, he brushed past me, forgetting our little incident. I watched him walk toward Victoria, pulling her into his embrace. I felt my stomach churn as I witnessed the two lock lips.

Was he doing this to get back at me? Shaking my head, I walked toward my locker and pulled out my English notebooks.

"Hey, beautiful," Sam smiled leaning against the lockers. I glared at her for a moment before going through my locker again. "What's got your panties in a twist?" Slamming the locker, I kept my hand on the door, staring furiously at the red paint. I wasn't sad, I was angry. I understood I may have hurt his feelings, but he doesn't own me. I'm allowed to kiss whomever I want, just like he can...

"Nothing, just stressed about the English project," I lied. If I told Sam the truth, she'd trying enforcing the idea that I liked Elias; I don't. I won't.

"Okay, well class starts in a few, we should go," she suggested pulling me away from my staring contest with the door. Laughing, I linked arms properly and followed her to Chris and some of his friends.

"Hey girls," he greeted taking a sip from his coke. Before he could finish it, I grabbed the can from his hand and chugged the rest. He threw his hands in the air in disbelief as Sam and I laughed.

"Thanks," I winked. He stared icily at me until Sam jumped onto his lap, and kissed his cheek to distract him. I mentally thanked her as I finished off the soda.

"I'll see you guys after school," I sighed walking toward English. As hard as I tried, I avoided eye contact with Elias. If he wanted to ignore me, then I'd do the same. He was acting like a complete child. I walked into class, taking a seat next to Charlie.

"Hey Charlie," I greeted taking out my notebooks. He looked up at me and smiled.

"Hi, did you finish your poem?" He asked pushing his glasses further up his nose. I pulled out my poem showing it to him. If he wasn't so awkward and used so face wash every once and awhile, Charlie wouldn't be half had. He was sweet, just needed some guidance in the fashion department.