003

𝟷𝟿𝟺𝟶 𝙷𝙸𝙶𝙷𝙻𝙰𝙽𝙳 𝙷𝙴𝙸𝙶𝙷𝚃𝚂

𝙾𝚂𝙰𝙸𝚁𝚄𝚂 𝙺𝙰𝚂𝙸𝙼 𝚂𝚈𝙰𝚁𝙴𝙼𝙴𝙼𝙿𝙷𝙸𝚂,𝚃𝙴𝙽𝙽𝙴𝚂𝚂𝙴𝙴_____________

𝙾𝚂𝙰𝙸𝚁𝚄𝚂 𝙺𝙰𝚂𝙸𝙼 𝚂𝚈𝙰𝚁𝙴
𝙼𝙴𝙼𝙿𝙷𝙸𝚂,𝚃𝙴𝙽𝙽𝙴𝚂𝚂𝙴𝙴
_____________

The sun beamed with no remorse causing sweat to coat Osairus's and Saints foreheads, as both of their chest heaved up and down after their 800 meter warm up lap. Sweat dripped down Osairus's body as he opened the iced water he had brought, and took a few sips trying to regain his weakened strength. The weather was currently approximately 87 degrees with zero chance of rain, and there were no clouds in sight to offer shade. The new beginning of the track season had finally returned and practices were even more intense under the heat.

Osairus retied his shoes and joined Saint in line to begin the routine stretches that normally followed after the double warm up lap. As usual, Osairus, Saint, and another boy named Kobe had led the 25 runners in stretches before each broke off to their coaches. Osairus looked around subconsciously at every one's shoes and noticed that everyone had bought new running shoes, he then looked down at the ones he wore and frowned at the tip which his mother had sown down to keep from detaching from the sole.

His foot brushed against the mesh of the shoe as he walked to join Coach Gardner who worked with all of the 100 meter,200 meter,400 meter, and relay runners. Both Saint and Osairus participated in all events except jump seeing that they were at top speed for their age. Osairus was currently ranked top 50 in the state and his goal was to eventually hit top 5 and carry on his goals. Saint was ranked slightly higher than him, and Osairus was okay with that because they motivated each other to be better and succeed together.

"Alright y'all, first we are going to start with suicides then we are going to transition into the ladder." Said Coach Gardner once all eleven runners were close enough to hear. Everyone dramatically groaned hearing ladder leave his mouth because whenever they did it, the coach tended to go hard.

"What's the ladder?" Ezekiel, a new member on the team had asked, he had joined the team that year and had no idea what he had signed himself up for.

"The ladder is when we do an order of 1 through 12. 1 being a 100 meter dash. 2 being a 200 meter dash. 3 being a 300 meter dash. 4 being a 400 meter dash. 5 being a 500 meter dash so one full lap and a straight or curve depending where you all end. There will be no break in between those however, you walk a 100 in between until you all do a 6 meaning 600 meters." He said putting emphasize on break. "Do you all hear me? No breaks because we are working towards endurance and stamina. If you feel like you can't do that then feel free to go because Coach Gardner doesn't have time for lazy folks on his team!"

Everyone took a glance around at one another to see who would leave and to Osairus's surprise, no one had moved.

About three of y'all will be gone in 2 days. He had thought thinking on his freshman year when the team had started with almost forty and carried on with thirty.