16

Aria was able to sleep in the next morning until late into the afternoon, knowing her chores for the day always got done, no one was ever super picky on what time she rolled out of bed, especially lately. She lazily slipped out of bed, throwing on a thicker sweater of Newts before making her way outside.

Newt was quick to spot his favorite girl making her way out and bounded towards her, quickly wrapping her in a hug.

"You slept late, you feeling okay?" Newt asked her, bringing her out of his hug as he gently held onto her waist.

"I'm fine... I just couldn't fall asleep last night for the life of me." Aria whined out.

"I thought I felt you tossing and turning." Newt nodded, "You okay now then?"

"Yeah, I am, just thinking things through. Where's Thomas and Minho?" Aria asked him.

"Still in the maze, should be back soon though." Newt nodded towards the maze entrance.

"Oh hm, I thought they would be back by now. I'm going to do my work for the day, I'll see you later?" Aria asked as he just grinned at her in response.

"I actually did your work for you today." Newt told her as she raised her eyebrows.

"You did? Why?"

"I wasn't sure when you were going to get up and you obviously needed the rest, plus, I had nothing else to do." Newt shrugged as she grinned up at him, closing the space between the two as she leaned up to gently kiss him on the lips.

"Well thank you."

//

Hours later, Thomas and Minho had returned from the maze while Aria sat with Theo, talking about the newest greenie and what Thomas had told her the night before.

"So what? He just told you to stay away from her and nothing else?" Theo questioned.

"Yeah, he did. I had a bad feeling about her from the minute I saw her." Aria huffed out.

"Well, Thomas seems to trust her." Theo pointed out.

"I've noticed."

"Have you told anyone else what Thomas said? Newt?" Theo asked as she shook her head.

"Not yet, I want to talk to Thomas and get him to clarify before I tell Newt anything. I don't want him to worry." Aria sighed.

"I have a feeling he worries about you regardless." Theo lightly laughed.

"I know he does. But hey! I can take care of myself!" Aria defended.

"Yeah, you and your 5'2 full glory." Theo teased as she gently shoved him.

"Shut up! I bet I could beat you in a fight any day." Aria argued.

"Yeah, I'm sure you could shrimp." Theo teased as the two laughed, being interrupted by other gladers.

Suddenly, Aria heard people shouting so she and Theo quickly stood, running over to where Newt stood with Frypan, Thomas, Minho, and Teresa.

"What's going on?" Aria softly asked.

"The doors aren't closing." Frypan told her, causing her eyes to go wide.

Gally soon joined the group before they all took off in a run towards the maze door, trying to figure out why they were not closing like they have been every night for the past three years. They all peered into the dark maze, the gladers in silence when the other entrances started to open, making a loud rumbling noise that made everyone shutter.