Chapter 2 - Seaside Hill

I went past everyone's car as I sped over to my Speed Car that Tails had made for me. Each of the vehicles were quite unique. They were built specifically for the racer. I mean, there was even a banana car! One of the stranger things was a glowing coming from under each vehicle. It seemed like each of the vehicles was also equipped for racing at night as well.

Everyone piled into their vehicles. I started in spot five of twenty. It depended on my placement throughout this Grand Prix as to if I would make it to a different placement.

NiGHTS was about to fly over to start the race. That was, until Shadow provoked someone. Believe you me, I have no idea how or why, but Shadow and Ryo Hazuki were shouting at each other. From what I've heard, Ryo lost his father to some guy named Lan Di. Apparently he wanted revenge. You know, him and Shadow do kinda have that in common. Anyways, I could only hear a few words of what they were saying.

"Watch where you're going." Ryo said to Shadow.

"Watch where you're standing." Shadow explained, already on his Dark Rider.

Ryo was right next to Shadow. The two glared at each other until a reporter from Space Channel 5 came around. "I don't want to barge in unannounced, but maybe you two should leave the disputes for the race?" Ulala suggested.

I don't know much about her but I do know that she has some pretty great dance moves. I think she was giving a few people dance lessons when we got here.

The two peered away from each other. Shadow was the first to say something back. "Good luck in the race."

"Same to you." Ryo stayed as he hoped onto his motorcycle. I cocked my head a little before shaking off the confusion. Like I said before, they are pretty alike.

Once everyone was in their place, NiGHTS finally flew above us and started the race. "Welcome to the first annual All-Stars race! Our racers are about to drive through Whale Lagoon here in Seaside Hill! Watch out for springs and badniks! They can tear up your vehicle pretty quick if you aren't careful." NiGHTS showed us one of the badniks, a crab. I'd recognize these guys anywhere. "These obstacles are courtesy of Dr. Robotnik, but most of you know him as Eggman, who has also decided to participate in this race." NiGHTS explained.

Just as I thought. Eggman was here. I glanced behind me. Yep, he was in eighth. The mad doctor was twirling his mustache as he sat in a giant monster truck with four big wheels. His vehicle was enough of an obstacle. And here I was, thinking I would be Eggman-free today. Guess that was why I hadn't heard from him.

I sighed as NiGHTS continued. "Remember racers, you each have special moves called 'All-Star Moves' that can only be used once. So, make sure you use them wisely." NiGHTS flew right in front of us. He held a checkered flag in one hand and a golden trophy in another. The trophy had something blue engraved in the side. I couldn't see what though. "Alright, racers! We have the cup and five thousand of your world's currency on the line! Are you ready?" Everyone, including the people in the stands, cheered. "Alright!," he swung the checkered flag, "On your mark! Get set! GO!!!" NiGHTS flew up as we all drove down the track.

Looking up ahead, it was clear that the Nightmaren wasn't kidding when he said "badniks." There were crab bots and puranas littered all over the track, waiting to take a bite out of your tire. I twisted and turned to avoid them. The side of my car hit a few as I drifted to make a quick turn.

After a few close calls, I went across a bridge. The bridge had springs threatening to knock me off the track. I decided it would best to avoid them. Sometimes springs were a hedgehog's best friend but not today. I would rather stay on dry land, thank you.

The first lap went by pretty smoothly. Each of the racers had to stop at the pit stop before continuing. Some of them chose not to but with my speed, I finished in no time. I was in third place now for the second lap.