II

I clung to his limp body, on the premise if I squeezed hard enough he'd come back to life.. Just to tell me to shove off. I cried into his chest, until his shirt clung to him like a second skin.

I looked at his face, one last time. He died just as he'd lived, with a smile on his face. It almost felt as though my blood ran cold, my chest tightened as my heart turned to stone. This was personal, Father was doing everything in his power to break me. I couldn't let Draco be next.

"Iz" George's voice broke me out of the dark hole I'd fallen into. I snapped back to reality, far, far, different from what I'd believed it to be just moments before.

The Great Hall was filled from wall to wall with dead bodies and those who were hurt, yet lucky enough to still be alive. Every one was crying, matching my emotion. Yet I couldn't help but envy them, I wished I could be Luna, or Pansy.. because their pain couldn't near match mine.

George's strong arms wrapped around me, lifting me to my feet and holding me against him. I'd stolen his last moments with his brother, I'd stolen all of his families final moments with him. But they didn't look angry, they looked on at me with pity. As though I had any right to be more upset than them.

I'd caused this. "I'm so sorry" I sobbed. The rest of the Weasley's joined in our embrace, welcoming me into their grief stricken show of affection as though I was one of them. I supposed I almost was. Perhaps I should have been.

I could have stayed there forever, how could I go on with this much pain in my heart? But I knew I had to finish this, even more so than when Freddie was alive.

"Come on Iz. You and me, remember" Neville spoke confidently for a man with a burning hat on his head.. Which actually seemed to have been extinguished in the time my life had just fallen apart.

The sorting hat was being tended to in a far corner, by Luna. I was sure he was being overly dramatic despite the fact he seemed completely unscathed.

"Please excuse me if I sound ungrateful, but how the fuck are you not burned? There's not even a mark where I was certain I saw a particularly aggressive flame" I stroked a finger across Neville's forehead. I don't quite know what I was expecting to gain from the action, yet I took note that his skin wasn't even warmer than my own.

Neville's bloody lip curled into a knowing smile, one that I couldn't refuse to return. "It wasn't real Iz, it wasn't hurting me or the hat.."

"It's an ancient magical artefact.. extremely powerful" Hermione added, stepping closer to us. "It's sentient, it was Godric Gryffindor's hat after all." The cogs began to turn in my head, desperately trying to figure out what it was she was getting at.

"It's more than a match for.. Tom. I don't doubt the other founders of Hogwarts cast protective charms on a plethora of magical objects, sorting hat included. Just as powerful as those Tom used to create his horcruxes."

"It gave me this actually. Came flying right out" Neville interrupted, holding the sword of Gryffindor high in the air. My eyes grew wide as I realised what this meant.. it had found us again, Neville this time. Just when we needed it.

"Harry.." I turned to look at him. His face was blotchy red, desperately trying to hold back tears in order to comfort the Weasley's, whom he himself felt a part of.

"I know I was a horcrux, there's no use telling me now" it was as though he'd read my mind. "I understand why you didn't tell me.. I'd have done what I did tonight months ago if you had. Perhaps I wouldn't have been so lucky."

I nodded, graciously receiving his thanks. I didn't deserve it. "I know the truth now too. Sorry for doubting you. Severus gave me his memories, I was there when he passed. I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to say bye" he clutched Ginny closer to his chest, he was hurting. He knew I was too. We'd pick up that conversation another time..