Brownies

You never bake, only if you want brownies. And today you want brownies.

You went to the supermarket to get some mixture and you hoped you'd bump into to Steve aka Captain America, so you could thank him for last night. That unfortunately didn't happen.

You hear the oven ding and take the brownie out. You're about to cut it in pieces when you here a knock on your door.

The old lady from next door is standing in front of you.

"I don't want to be intrusive, but I was walking in the hallway when I smelled something delicious coming from your apartment. May I ask what you're making?"

"I am making brownies, would you care for one?" you ask politely.

"If it wouldn't be too much trouble?"

"Of course not"

"Shall I ask the handsome young man from next door if he cares for one too?"

Before you can stop misses Jones, she already knocked on his door. He opens it and starts talking to her.

"He would love a brownie" she says as she drags Steve in.

You wave at Steve and he waves back still in the grip of the old lady.

You're embarrassed as you see him looking through your apartment. There are still boxes everywhere and they're isn't much except for a couch, a salon table, the kitchen and an old leather  chair from the past owners, who is now filled by misses Jones.

You bring over the brownies.

"I just took them out of the oven, so they're still very hot."

Misses Jones already grabs a piece and makes satisfied noises as you looks at the brownie.

You bring them both a cup of tea and decide to sit down next to Steve on the couch.

"I wanted to thank you again for last night. That was very heroic. And it also made me realize that you're captain America. I'm so embarrassed that I didn't recognize you before."

"Well I wasn't wearing my suit, so hey who could blame you" he gives you a sweet grin.

You chuckle and reach for a brownie as you feel your cheeks turning red.

The next 35 minutes you had to listen to misses Jones talk about the most boring and common things. She literally started telling you about going to the grocery store.

Steve's phone went off. At first he didn't pick it up, because misses Jones was in the middle of a story. But he kept looking at his pocket.

"I am really sorry, I don't want to be rude, but I need to get this phone call."

Misses Jones waved that is was okay and Steve left your apartment. However, misses Jones wasn't finished talking yet..

Later that evening someone knocks on your door again. It's Steve to your surprise.

"Hey mister Rogers" you say.

"I'm sorry that I had to leave in such a hurry, but my boss called me."

"No worries, I just had to listen to misses Jones for 20 more minutes" you whisper not wanting her to hear you.

"She is a sweetheart, but I don't understand how you can tell a 15 minute story about going to the grocery store" Steve whispers back.

You wouldn't have thought that he would gossip back, but it makes you chuckle.

"Did you even get a chance to take a brownie?" you ask.

"I actually didn't" says Steve as he gives you a disappointed look.

"You can come in if you want, I haven't finished all of them yet."

Steve accepts your invitation and sits down on the couch.

"Shall I make some tea?" you ask.

"If it isn't too much trouble?"

"No no, of course not."

You come back with two pieces of brownie and two mugs. Steve picks his one up and raises an eyebrow.

"Best dad" he reads out loud.

You almost choke on your brownie as you realize which mug you have given him. But he doesn't seem to think anything of it.

"Why do you have a mug that says 'Best dad'?"

"Honestly? I stole it from my dad when I was moving out." It sounds so silly, which it is.

He is still looking confused at you.

"My parents were kind of dicks to me.."

"Language" interrupts Steve.

His comment takes you by surprise and it's too late to hold your laugh. You shake it off and continue talking

"I'm sorry. My parents weren't very nice to me" you say with a certain tone of voice, "when I told them I was moving out. They thought that I was rushing things and they refused to help with the move. So I did a very childish thing and stole my dad's mug."

"You should respect your parents. But yes, maybe he doesn't quite deserve that mug after that action."

"Exactly what I thought."

He asks you more questions about your parents and you start talking about your family and childhood. And before you both realize it, it's midnight.

"I shouldn't keep you up much longer, do you have to work tomorrow?" Steve asks.

"I do actually, but it is fine."

"Let me help you do the dishes."

"No need, I'll just do them tomorrow."

You let Steve out and he turns around before he walks up to his door.
He looks you in the eyes and you feel your cheeks burn again. He looks at the floor and says

"I had a really great time tonight."

"Me too" you say with a smile.

He smiles back and turns around.

"Goodnight Miss Y/L/n" he says before he disappears into his apartment.

"Goodnight mister Rogers"