Chapter 3

"Good manners do more for a man than good looks."

-E.W. Howe-

***

Damian was seated in a study chair in the living room writing down some notes of his activities for the next day. Everything was planned. We would spend his entire day exploring the Red Square, just to see if it was really as fascinating as people claimed it to be, everything was listed in a rough outline but he had a pretty good picture of what his day would be.

After that, he went to the kitchen to make some dinner. The menu for the day was steamed vegetables with boiled chicken with a little bit of chili sauce. Not the most flavorful dish, but most importantly, it was healthy. He had been paying a lot of attention to his health since he realized he was not very young anymore, at least he thought he was not.

Once it was cooked, he poured them to the plate, plating them beautifully as if he was a contestant in a cooking contest. After he was done with the plating he washed the dirty dishes first before eating his meal because he could not stand his own mess.

It took less than five minutes before he could sit down and eat. He thought it would be so easy, he just had to sit down and eat, but he was wrong, once again.

There was a knock on his door, stopping him mid air from taking a seat. Damian was confused since he did not recall inviting anyone nor did he have any service requested. With a slight frown on his face, he stood up and fetched the door, only to find Lana standing there with a lunch box on her hand, smiling attentively at him.

She had changed into her casual wear, black sweater with long pair of light trousers. Nothing too over the top. Her hair was semi wet, a sign she had just taken a shower. She was walking barefoot and this time he was able to see her without makeup.

She did not look all that different, she just had no extra black line on her lid or a painted over warm nude pink lips, nonetheless, she was still stunning. He was about to ask her what her business was when she pulled up the box and handed it over to him.

"I brought you some Golubtsi, it's a local dish made of stuffed cabbage. I thought since you are here you might as well try some of our meal. Also, it's a thank you for helping me out earlier and a welcoming gift for being my short term neighbor" Damian had no idea how he was supposed to react.

It was the first time someone had ever treated him like that. He wondered if it was a Russian thing. She stole a peek inside his place, waiting for him to invite her in but he did not. Instead he only thanked her briefly before closing the door.

It would take an apocalypse to have Damian inviting a woman into his place.

She froze in disbelief.

How could he just let her stand there?

It was probably the worst thing a man could do. Was it an American thing? She should have known better but still she was not going to allow him to treat her like that.

Lana had never been treated like that before, it was as if he did not acknowledge her effort at all and it pissed her off. Syill, she had set her eyes on him, both in a romantic and perverted way, though it was more based on curiosity and once she set her eyes on someone, that person must at least acknowledge her. She took a deep breath before knocking on the door again.

"What is it?" he asked her while maintaining a flat expression. He did not appreciate having his meal disturbed twice. Both were equally annoyed by each other but somehow she still managed to pull of a smile.

"That is NOT how you are supposed to treat a woman who just brought you some food. Didn't your mother teach you any manners? You could have at least invited me in. It's called being polite." Damian was a bit shocked because no one had ever talked to him that way before. He realized she did make a sense.