what is and what isnt [prologue]

𝘛𝘏𝘐𝘙𝘋 𝘗𝘌𝘙𝘚𝘖𝘕
(best viewed in dark mode)
A SOFT GLOW RADIATES FROM THE FIREPLACE, accompanied by the low crackle of the embers that were once a roaring fire that singed the brick at the top of the hearth. The heat from said fire still permeates the room, warming the brittle bones of a weathered woman propped up by pillows in an old arm chain. Her hands sit folded on her lap, skin pruned with time and molted with spots new and old. The flesh of her face so ingrained with lines of worry, laughter, and frustration that it appear almost bark-like in nature. Her chest billows up from the depths of her little pillow den as she begins to address the three wide eyed children sat before her chair waiting for her to begin.

"Contradiction is the nature of both man and beast. What is kind is also cruel, water that is still, will drown you and fire that destroys, will warm you. Contradictions make the world turn round and round because all that spinning between what something is but also isn't makes it so. Oh I see it in your eyes, this story is confusing isn't it?

But it also isn't, or it is until it isn't. Isn't that just grand? I've got your heads spinning around just like this little planet we call home! But enough about that, you didn't come to hear an old crone babble about things that don't make sense. No you came for stories about dangerous Grisha, dark and devious thieves and doting romances." The woman pauses, lost in a reminiscent stare as she looks into the fire and perhaps beyond into times long lost. Her tongue darts between her cracked lips to wet them before she continues, an almost youthful expression crossing her face as she speaks.

"I suppose I should start from the very beginning then shouldn't I? Yes, yes, the beginning, I believe, and I may be wrong, but I believe it all started with a bird."

a Shadow and Bone fanfiction

Staring
Tanaya Beatty as Farren Nesta
" The Phoenix "

Staring Tanaya Beatty as Farren Nesta " The Phoenix "

Freddy Carter as Kaz Brekker
" Dirtyhands "

Freddy Carter as Kaz Brekker " Dirtyhands "