strike a match, strike a deal

Again, this chapter will contain heavy topics so please read at your own risk!

FARREN

FARREN had been correct to assume that the night was going to be long for her. Fortunately for her it seemed as if, for the time being, her owner for the night seemed content to show her off, flaunting the fact that he had been the one to host her debut party to anyone who would listen. It was politics really, whoever was the richest was the most powerful, so the more you had to flaunt, the more control you had in Ketterdam. It didn't take a native of the city to know that.

Farren's only task was to giggle at his jokes and run her hand down his arm when he said something complimentary to her. That and pass him a drink to replace what he'd just finished. For the most part she was relaxed, if a little annoyed at how her shoes pinched her feet. The music playing was soft and sweet, a contrast to the rowdy drunks at the party, and she focused on the melody to distract herself when things became boring. Occasionally someone would come to speak to her, mostly men seeking her company for some fun, but the man she was with seemed determined to keep them at bay, telling them to get their own time with her. She was glad for it, if only she had known how short lived her gratitude would be.

She found herself alone with the councilman, he incredibly drunk and she incredibly fed up with it all. His drunkenness peeled away his inhibitions and to her frustration he seemed to have a one track mind when it came to how that night would end. His hands frequently roamed to trace the jeweled designs on her top or at her hip, a gesture she would gently decline with a brush of her hand. But as the night wore on and he fell deeper into the bottle, he became more persistent. She swallowed her pride, this was her job wasnt it? To conform to his every whim. He seemed to feel the need to remind her of it, waving her flame around, taunting her.

After a while, as people began to trickle out the doors, she found she could deny his requests no longer, her pulse spiked as she was lead away from the crowd and down a hall. All she could do was cast a last furtive glance over her shoulder, wishing silently that one of the other girls would come take this man from her, or even that Heleen would appear and announce that his time was up. She had no such luck. In an attempt to steady her nerves she admired the decor of the halls they walked through.

"You have a very lovely home." She told the man, trying to strike up a conversation with him to delay the inevitable.

He chuckled, tracing the edge of her top with a hungry grin, "and you my dear, have a lovely figure." He purred, the scent of alcohol heavy on his breath. The smell was repulsive but not near as much as his touch was. Farren shuddered, which seemed to excite him all the more. She felt uneasy, she didn't want to do this, but she didn't have a choice, she felt so alone and yet there was a prickle at the back of her mind, as if she were being watched from just beyond her sight. She couldn't dwell on that feeling for long as she was pulled into a bedroom.

The large four poster bed looked remarkably comfortable, and the fireplace, though empty, appeared warm and inviting, in fact, had it not been for the wild thumping of her heart, she would've found the room to be quite enjoyable. The man turned to set the candle down on the ornate dresser, fiddling with his tie. Farren felt faint, she was really expected to lie with this stranger? And for what? Pocket change? No she didn't want to do this, she could go back to being just a little date night floozy, she could leave, tell Heleen she wasn't ready. Her eyes widened, fear brightening her gaze as the man turned to face her.

Saints no she wanted out, "I Uh- I think Heleen wanted me to come find her early."

"Shut up, you're mine for the night and I'm getting what I paid for." He snarled and she suppressed a whimper of fear. Each step he took forward, she took back until her back hit the cold solidness of the bedpost. He kept coming until he was flush against her, she could feel the warmth of his breath against her face and neck, the putrid smell stung her nose and she tried to turn away.