Part 29

In the morning, Damon woke up first, fairly early, although the sun was already up. He didn't want to wake up Bonnie, so he didn't kiss her on her naked shoulder as he wanted to. He got up, put on a T-shirt and trousers, and then he wanted to reach for the chest of drawers to get his socks when his eyes landed on a half-naked Elena, who was just putting on a red top.
'What the hell are you doing here?' Damon whispered.
'Don't you see? I'm getting dressed,' Elena replied; unlike him, he didn't try to keep her volume down, abruptly waking Bonnie up from her pleasant sleep. 'It's almost unbelievable that you still have my stuff in your drawer,' Elena noted, looking at Bonnie because she didn't want to miss her reaction. 'Or do you wear my lingerie?' she continued, pulling out her black lace knickers.
'I'm planning to get rid of it during spring-cleaning,' joked Damon, snatching the knickers from her hand. 'Who even let you out?'
'I did.' Stefan entered the room.
'Stefan has always trusted me,' stated Elena, squeezing Stefan's arm gratefully. 'You never have,' she gave Damon a devastating look.
'Because I wanted to protect you,' Damon snapped at her furiously. 'What on earth got into you?' he blew up at Stefan. 'Why didn't you talk this over with me first?'
'You wouldn't have agreed to this,' Stefan shrugged.
'You bet I wouldn't have agreed!' Damon was fuming. 'Have you gone mad?'
'I'll help her, Damon. I'll take care of you. What would have leaving her in the cell solved? When has that plan ever worked? And we've tried so many times!'
'That's true!' Elena raised a finger.
'Admit it, Damon. You just wanted to get rid of her and get it on with Bonnie.'
Damon looked at Stefan with eyes full of disgust. 'How can you say that? This is Elena we're talking about!'
Bonnie couldn't bear it anymore. She was regretting from the bottom of her heart that she wasn't wearing any clothes and couldn't up and leave.
'What's wrong, Bon Bon?' Elena smiled. 'It's all just about me again, isn't it? Well, you should finally get used to it! These two have always loved and will always love just me!'
'Do you still think it was such a great idea to let her out?' Damon frowned at Stefan.
'I'll handle it,' Stefan assured him. 'Where's her ring?'
'Forget it!'
'Damon, stop fooling around and give me the ring.' Stefan reached out his open hand to his brother.
'Never!'
Stefan moved his hand towards Elena; she grabbed it, and he took her downstairs saying: 'Don't worry, we'll figure something out.'
Bonnie glanced at Damon in disbelief. He realised he was still holding Elena's knickers, and he shoved them back in the drawer.
'Why do you still have her stuff?'
'Don't you think we have a more serious problem? Like Stefan taking into his head that he's going to tame the little dragoness?'
'Maybe it's a good thing. Maybe she'll leave us alone.'
'I doubt that. She's gone nuts.' 
'But this is Elena we're talking about,' Bonnie pulled faces. 'You shouldn't be talking about her like that,' she muttered.
'Is that issue back again?'
'It's always been here! You're just never gonna stop thinking about her! Especially not if you're living under the same roof!'
'So what the hell do you suggest?' Damon was beginning to be really irritated.
'Give her her ring back.'
'What?' Damon's eyes popped out.
'Trust me; it's the only way to get our freedom - by giving her hers.'
'Do you remember what she wanted to do to you last night?'
'That's not gonna happen again.'
'I don't get it,' Damon shook his head in confusion. 'Are you on her side, or do you hate her?'
'A bit of both,' Bonnie confessed. 'She's annoying the hell out of me, but she's still my best friend... It's complicated.'
'Tell me about it.'
Damon took the ring out of the hiding place between cassettes from the 80s and fiddled with it for a second, as he was thinking his decision through. But in the end, he decided to listen to Bonnie, and he headed downstairs to give Elena her ring.