Chapter 4

Wolf busted through the doors with a small child. The child belonged to Vision's lands because of the brown and blue clothing. Unicorn sighed in relief from the floor. The three of them were laying on the ground and had the windows and doors closed. If the Plants do not see any movement they should move on by sunrise. The small black-haired child hopped off Wolf's back and moved to sit next to the older boy. With all the doors closed, Wolf joined them on the floor. 

The two kids quickly got along, with the girl introducing herself to the redhead boy. However, Unicorn could still feel the heavy sadness in the room.  Even with the kids laughing, she still saw the frown that would appear on their lips afterward or the way Wolf would flick her tail in nervousness. And Tiger would keep looking out the window, either wanting to run after them or waiting for a Plant to climb up the wall to them. 

Unicorn stretched out her wings before standing up. "We should sleep. By tomorrow we can head out. I'll stand watch."

There was no arguing with that, not even from Tiger. Wolf gently pulled the two kids towards her. Her soft fur made a warm bed for them. Once Unicorn knew everyone was asleep, she walked towards the window and stood guard. Through the curtain, she watched the Plants' red glowing eyes retreat from Tiger's palace into the woods. 

~~~

Tiger was gone when Unicorn woke up. 

Tiger was supposed to be the one to wake them up when the sun rose, but now he was gone. He must have gone to look for the humans while we fell asleep! Her panic flapping awoke the others, and she calmed herself. 

"Almighty Unicorn, where is my Keeper?"

Unicorn looked at the boy just before the doors opened. Tiger walked through, pulling a ripped curtain filled with food. He did not say anything to them and walked away.

"Food!" the young girl and older boy yelled; they ran to the food to eat. 

While the kids were eating, Unicorn sat next to Tiger. "That was nice of you."

Tiger grunted, "They need food in order to fight."

"Mhm, of course." Unicorn sat there a few seconds longer before leaving. Tiger did not seem like he wanted to talk anymore, so she sat with Wolf. The Keepers waited until the kids' bellies were full before talking about the plan. 

"My people have discovered that the Plants can see bright colors. If we can limit ourselves to browns and blacks, we will only have to deal with a few Plants," Wolf told everyone. 

"And how are we suppose to do that?" Tiger said, his orange fur making him a target. 

The two kids walked to their sides carrying black powder that was staining their hands. "We can use this!" 

Tiger narrowed his eyes as he looked at them. "What is that?"

"Ashes and soot left from the burning wood," the boy said. 

"We can rub it in your fur to help make your fur appear more darker," the girl added. 

Wolf nodded. "As long as we avoid getting wet, it should work."

Sighing, Tiger stood over the dark substance. The others stood watching him closely just as he lowered himself into a playful stance and then rolled over it. He rolled and rolled and rolled. His orange fur slowly turned darker by the second. The Keepers tried not to grin at the sight, but the kids could not help it.

"Okay. It is done," he stood already feeling yucky already. His face showed disgust, but then remembered Unicorn would have to do the same thing. "Your turn, Keeper Unicorn." 

Her face instantly paled at the thought of her gorgeous coat covered in who knows what.

"Not so funny anymore is it?" Tiger flashed his teeth.

The kids giggled loudly on the floor.