𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎.

✧・゚:*✧・゚:*

Time seems to move impossibly slow after Jay calls each member of the unit, saying the same words over and over again as if reading from a script

Time seems to move impossibly slow after Jay calls each member of the unit, saying the same words over and over again as if reading from a script. Maybe if he repeats it enough times, it'll actually feel real. For the ones that knew Avery – Adam, Kevin, and Kim – the news is hard to deliver, especially to Adam. He and Avery were close, the best of friends out of anyone in the unit. And aside from Voight and Jay, Adam took it the hardest when she disappeared. His initial response is anger, as if Jay is playing some cruel practical joke on him, before realizing the truth behind his friend's words and hanging up with a rushed, "I'm on my way."

And of course, Adam is the first to arrive at the hospital with Kevin and Kim not far behind, followed lastly by Hailey. Relief floods through his veins at the sight of his friends, solely for the fact that he won't have to sit in silence anymore. Once they gather around him, he explains the situation in more detail, relaying everything Voight shared about her condition. Matching looks of horror adorn their expressions as they learn of her injuries and memory loss, Kim even placing a comforting hand on Adam's shoulder when his fists clench in rage.

"Who the hell did this to her?" Adam seethes, fighting the urge to punch a hole through the nearest wall.

He drags a hand down his face, "I told you, she doesn't remember. Voight wants us to start working the case right now, track her movements."

"No way," Adam shakes his head, "There's no chance I'm leaving without seeing her."

Narrowing his eyes at the younger man, Jay is about to respond before everyone's attention shifts to something behind him. He glances over his shoulder, eyes landing on their sergeant approaching with furrowed brows. Voight raises a hand to point between them all, eyes focusing on Jay, "I thought I told you to start investigating."

"We want to see her," Adam demands.

At the slightly annoyed look on their boss' face, Kim squeezes Adam's arm to calm him down before trying to ease the tension in only a way her comforting voice can, "We just want to make sure she's okay, Sarge. It's all kind of hard to believe."

After a few seconds of silence, Voight lets out a sigh, understanding where they're coming from. As much as he wants to get to work on finding the people responsible for this, he knows that Avery is their teammate. Their friend. Their family. "She's awake," he starts, "I can ask if she's up for visitors."

It's only a few minutes later when Voight returns saying that she wants to see everyone, but Jay freezes when they near her room. He feels like his entire body is on fire, unable to push away the fear that when he goes into that room, it won't really be her. That somehow this is all a mistake, and the woman he loved is still dead.