Chapter 5

~ Andrew's POV ~

A horrendous noise broke out inside the house only minutes after five in the morning, sending my heart into a panic. I jumped up out of the uncomfortable chair I had been using for a bed and I glanced over to the couch to find Aubrey had done the same. Her hand was placed on her head to stop the pounding that was, no doubt, occurring from the sudden movement. Footsteps began thudding down the stairs as Uncle Rusio and Christopher came into sight. I was already at Aubrey's side, anxiously waiting for answers. Lights flashed inside the darkened house as the noise continued until Uncle Rusio made it to his desk. He quickly disarmed the alarms and began typing away on his computer.

"What's going on? Has some breached the perimeter?" Christopher questioned tensely as he pulled a plain white t-shirt down over his chest. I was standing close enough to Aubrey that I immediately sensed her disappointment as my own, nearly causing me to vomit.

While continuing to stare at his computer, Uncle Rusio shook his head doubtfully. "I've made some adjustments to the security since you boys were last here. Sensors have been set up more than a hundred miles out."

"So someone has tripped one of those? That will give us enough time." I spoke urgently as we all inched towards the numerous computers lined on top of rows of desks.

Uncle Rusio responded once again with a shake of his head while inching closer to his computer screens, his eyes concentrating intently on something.

"What is it?!" Christopher demanded.

"I think you should take a look at this."

We all immediately moved around the desk after his suggestion. Aubrey's heart was pounding in fear at the thoughts of what she may see. The screen held four smaller images, all containing video footage of barren desert land. It was the land surrounding the house. Uncle Rusio had managed to acquire live video footage of the miles and miles of empty land surrounding his house. Out of the four video footages, there was only one with movement but it was enough. At first there were only a few human forms in the corner, stepping farther towards the middle of the screen but after them only followed more and more, until the entire screen was filled with an army.

"You boys know I hold a barrier on this house, better than any Markadian ever could, but we're not just dealing with Demetri's abilities anymore. Half of Markadia is searching for her now. This is bigger than it was seventeen years ago. He knows she's alive and he knows she's with you, there's more at stake now."

Aubrey's heart beat only quickened at his stressful deductions. I quickly moved closer, my arm casually resting against hers and she almost instantly released an anxious breath. I was waiting for her to pull away or show that she was unappreciative of my presumptuous gesture, but she never showed any signs besides relief. Being able to ease anxieties, fears and people's general state of being into bliss wasn't only an ability I possessed; it was a part of who I was. It was difficult when I first met Aubrey because all I wanted to do was ease her worries about this place and who we were, but she was so guarded I could never get close enough. She seemed to be opening up, at least to me, and I was thankful to feel like I was making her transition more peaceful.

"Half of Markadia is searching for her? What are you talking about? Markadia is rebelling against Demetri's orders."

"They were." Uncle Rusio corrected Christopher forcefully, his voice rigid. "You've been in the human world for a year, a lot has changed and the revolt has only weakened. The one who shot you two days ago may not have even been a part of Demetri's army. The entire kingdom is desperate and wants nothing more than for this war to be over, even if that means giving her over."