Chapter 07: Blowing Hot and Cold

Narrator's POV

It was Sunday, and it was Lauren's birthday. She woke up a bit late and enjoyed swimming in the ocean. In the afternoon, she spent the day with her fans. She sang some songs, answered their questions, and played some games with them. The fans were happy to celebrate Lauren's birthday together. She got many flowers and gifts from them. After spending three hours with them, she returned home to relax and take a nap before her evening dinner at home with her close friends and team. 

It was seven, and the guests were starting to arrive. Lauren was getting ready in her room. Everything was ready: the food, decoration, music, and cake. Sam was welcoming the guests. Zayn, Halsey, and four of her bandmates arrived first. They were talking and enjoying the aperitif provided. Normani arrived after Lucy and Vero. Ally arrived and was followed by Ariana fifteen minutes later. All the guests looked beautiful in their outfits.

"Everyone is here," Ariana said when she saw their group.

"Not everyone yet," Ally said, "Where's Dinah and Camila?"

"Are they coming?" Vero asked.

"Dinah said yes, not sure about Camila," Normani said.

Speaking of the devil, Dinah and Camila showed up at seven twenty-seven, three minutes before the celebration started, three minutes before Lauren showed up. Lucy did not expect Camila would show up after Lauren told her about their first encounter by the beach. Lauren had not told her about the latest encounters, as she had not talked to Lucy since then.

"We all are here..." Ariana was the most excited one.

"Ladies and Gents," Sam came out of the house with Lauren. He announced walking to the pool area where the guests were, "one and only, Lauren Jauregui..." They started singing the birthday song. Lauren smiled. She was smiling and enjoying the singing, but she was a bit shy. It could be seen from her body language. She was looking at the cake and also scanning the guests. She stopped for seconds when she saw Camila. Their eyes met. Lauren was surprised, but she was happy, "....happy birthday, Lauren..." the bandmates were helping Sam with the confetti. The guests applauded and whistled, cheering Lauren. 

"Thank you..." Lauren said. She made a wish and blew out the candles at once. When she finished, Anitta, who was standing next to her, hugged her and kissed her. Dinah was turning her head to the left side, looking at Camila. Lucy, who was standing not far from Camila, glanced at her. Camila was just standing there looking cool and sipping her drink looking at the host. The guests were approaching Lauren one by one to hug and wish her birthday before they would be seated for the dinner.

It was Camila's turn, "Happy birthday!" She slightly hugged Lauren. Lauren was disappointed as she was looking forward to a warm and long hug just like how others gave her, but Camila did not give it to her. It was a brief, loose hug. Lauren pursed her lips. 

"You came," Lauren smiled. Camila smiled subtly, which made Lauren lose her big smile, "Thank you for coming," Lauren said, looking at Camila, who looked like she did not know Lauren well. Just like that, Camila greeted Lauren and followed the other guests before her to the dining area next to the swimming pool. Lauren greeted her next guest, Halsey, and Zayn. 

Lauren sat in the middle with Anitta sitting next to her left side. Zayn was sitting in front of Lauren. The bandmates, the studio team, and close business partners were on Lauren's right side, and the girls were on the left side, along with Halsey and Anitta. Camila took the farthest seat away from Lauren, who was in the head seat. Sam was sitting in the other head seat.