06

Anith's hands felt empty. Her body curved. He wanted to follow those curves again.

He watched her dance quietly. It was wonderful. He decided if she insisted he take up a...hobby, it should be watching her dance.

The music was nice too. The melody lulled him, as he watched her flow around the room.

She hadn't responded. But he couldn't postpone his departure. He hasn't expected to have to leave before the two earth years he was supposed to spend.

"You want to leave earth," he said.

Her eyes met his, as she swept toward him.

"Yes I do," she said softly. She sat down next to him.

He smiled, looking down. "I am leaving. You...you're coming with me."

She raised her brow. "I am? You seem certain."

"Do you object?"

She shrugged. "I think I object to your tone,"

He glanced at her, tucking his hair behind his ear. "You want to escape. And I...don't wish to part from you. I like you, Roxanne. So follow me."

She leaned back on her hands. "This is crazy. Who's to say you're not being nice now, and when you get me on that planet, all alone, you won't turn on me?"

He looked over her face. "Not that imagine it's much of a consolation, but I would never do that. Most Iohiran men wouldn't."

"And why is that," she snorted derisively.

He stared at her intensely. "Being cruel to others is a weakness. Only the weak feel the need to inflict pain on innocents."

Despite herself, Roxanne felt her lips quirk up. "What's it like? Iohiri?"

"It's hot. You would wear far less clothing than you do here. In my district, we have residences that are similar to these. Though we have the technology, we prefer not to rely on it."

She closed her eyes, trying to imagine it.

"Our sun is brighter than yours. So our days are longer. The sky is soft purple at night. And you can see...all the stars."

Roxanne smiled softly, as he thrilled her with the sights and smells of his planet.

"It sounds like a peaceful place. I wouldn't imagine it would be."

He shrugged. "There can be scrimmages. But the truly strong will always win."

He took her hand, making her open her eyes.

"Come with me," he whispered.

"I don't know you nearly enough," she shook her head.

He sighed. "Then it can't be helped."

They sat in silence for a moment.

"Why do you have to go back?" She asked eventually.

"Ah, there's a small scrimmage. Someone wants to take over my territory."

She blinked, smiling in confusion. "Territory? Like your neighborhood right?"

He nodded. "Yes. I suppose. Except my neighborhood, as you say, is half my planet."

Confusion swarmed her for a moment. Then she scoffed. Of course. He was a representative. Of course, he was important if he spoke for his people.

"So you're important?"

He shrugged. "Not really. What's important is my duty to my people. To my family."

He leaned back as well, copying her motions, closing his eyes.

He liked this.

"So...you have to go back then."

"You're not ready," he said simply. "There's no real need to go back without you."

She scoffed. "What about your duty?"

Anith's lips raised in humor. "There are other warriors. It would simply go quicker if I returned. I knew something like this may happen. The weak must take every opportunity, after all."

Anith sighed. His brother could probably deal with it. It's just have gone quicker if he'd gone instead. Still, he didn't want to leave Roxanne.

And she wouldn't like it, he decided, if she just woke up on Iohiri.

So he needed to wait. He'd chosen her. He just needed her to choose him. He was confident.

"Are you hungry? You should eat," he mumbled. "I have prepared meat and vegetables. Also, I prepared meals for you, from the provisions from 'the store'."

Roxanne snorted, laughing. "You really hate the store huh?"

He smiled, looking over at her. "A little."

His eyes fell to her chest before he looked back up. "Well, will you eat?"

"Not much hungry," she admitted.

They sat in quiet for a moment more.

She turned to him. "Hey, Anith?"

"Yes?"

She stood, standing in front of him. He cocked his head in confusion.

"I'm sorry was I supposed to do something?" He asked.

She leaned down, touching his face. She kissed his cheek.

"For what it's worth, I really hope you're not lying to me, about the person you are."