09

Anith grumbled to himself in Iohiran as Roxanne paced the spaceship.

"I told you we should wait two weeks," he mumbled.

"The ship was adequate! How was I supposed to know they had an EMP set in the atmosphere? I didn't even know they had that technology!" She argued.

He frowned, standing. "You knew about this ship? So...when you asked to leave earth you asked because you knew I had this?"

She shook her head.

"Listen, this isn't as bad as it seems-"

"It seems like we're accelerating to a Kara- a world destroyer! And it seems like I can't stop it!" He yelled.

"I thought it was a black hole?" She shouted back.

"It's the same thing!" He sighed, clenching his jaw. Frustrated, he took his hair down, letting it fall over his shoulders.

"You used me," he mumbled. "To complete your criminal activity and escape," he let his head fall back. "And now we're going to die."

"Hey," she squeezed past him. "We're not going to die. And I didn't use you persay. I could've just left you on Earth you know?"

"What consolation," he mumbled in his language.

"Your mom," she shrugged. "Everything's gonna be fine," she sat in the driver's seat, shifting.

"Hey, hey, what are you doing? You know how to work this?"

"...in theory," she whispered, "But I can't read Iohiri. Show me how to turn off the autopilot."

He stared at her, towering over her quietly. She swallowed. Maybe she should've left without him.

"This button," he grunted, looking away as he pointed to it.

"If we are going to die, may as well make it quick." He mumbled, sitting down. He closed his eyes, hanging his head, his hair falling.

"Are you praying?" She asked.

"On my planet, my family is considered descendants of the gods. There is no one for a god to pray to," he sighed. "I am wishing."

"Wishing?" She asked, trying to take control of her shifter.

"Yes. Wish for a warrior's death. Otherwise, my name would be disgraced."

"We're not going to die." She assured him.

He raised a brow, peeking open one eye. "I knew you were too attractive to be trusted."

She smiled. "That's quite flattering."

"As a warrior, it is my duty to stay alert. I allowed you to mislead me-"

"Oh come on, Anith! It's not that bad!"

"No one even knows what is in a black hole. Just that nothing comes out of it," he intoned.

She rubbed the back of her neck. "Yesh."

"Yesh indeed, Roxanne. Yes indeed."

Roxanne smiled. "Would it help if I told you what I did?"

"Is like to know why I'm dying, yes."

She shifted, her eyes scanning over the text. "Let's just say I did what I did for the love of my planet. And when humans do things for love, they can't be held responsible for their actions."

He frowned. "I don't think that's how it works-"

"Of course it is! Did I release a bio virus into the air? Set to kill all human life in the next two years. Yes. But...I love my planet, and that's why."

He stood. "You're crazy."

She held up a hand. "Love makes you crazy. So calling me crazy just means you're calling me in love."

"No, I am calling you crazy! What?! Why would you do that?"

She shrugged. "I'm sure there are no underlying issues I should address or seek counseling for. Now I can override but it'll take some juice."

"Juice? I only bought apple juice," he frowned. "And not a lot."

"No, power. It'll take power. Not enough to get us to Iohiri, but we could get to a nearby moon. We should be able to tolerate the air."

He sighed. "I just had to be paired with the one human who commits crimes against humanity."

"Well...aren't you lucky," she winked.

Anith frowned deeply.  She sighed. "Cheer up, Anith. It's just a threat. I thought I could give some motivation. I see now all I motivated them to do was try to kill me.