𝟐𝟏| 𝐍𝐮𝐭𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐨𝐥𝐭𝐬

-𝐇𝐄𝐑-

His smile didn't reach his eyes but still, it was a smile— on Mr. Night's face. It was nothing less than special but just like most of the special things, it stayed on his face only briefly.

"Erm... okay," I mumbled, shifting in my chair a bit uncomfortably. I took a quick glance at Filth who was still standing by the stairs, watching me with a knowing look on his face. It seemed like the two of them had teamed up against me.

"Since you're already done with lunch, why don't you come with me. I ought to show you something," He spoke, stepping behind me and pulling out the chair for me so that I could get up.

My heart was drumming in my chest as I got up and turned to look at him. He was standing behind me, his figure easily towered over mine and the depth in his eyes further added to his vastness.

"Follow me," He ordered curtly before turning around and walking back to the stairs. I swallowed hard before hesitantly following him. I was expecting him to climb the stairs that led upstairs since he told me to follow him but I actually halted in my steps for a moment when he headed towards the stairs that led to the basement.

Was he really taking me there? Should I be scared? Was he finally fed up of me and was now about get rid of me the same way he'd have done to Edward?

A chill ran down my spine.

When he realised that I wasn't following him anymore, he stopped at the top of the stairs leading down to the basememnet and looked over his shoulder.

"Miss Maynard, is something the matter?" He asked.

"No," I breathed.

"Then let us not delay. I don't have a lot of time in my hands," He told me as I edge closer to him with the speed of a snail. "What's the matter, Miss Maynard? You don't seem very keen on going downstairs this time," He commented as I followed him down the stairs slowly.

"Didn't you tell me this place was out of bounds to me?" I reminded him.

"Yes, I did but I require an extra pair of hands in my work. Hence, I'm relaxing this rule. I grant you access to only Level one," He told me when we finally reached the first door. It was pitch dark here. The only source of light was a strange device the Mr. Night was holding in his hand.

He turned to face me when I stepped behind him. His eyes fell on me as he declared "The stairs beyond this are still out of bounds to you," Instantly, my eyes found the stairs that were going further down. I could only see a couple of them before they were being swallowed by darkness. My nerves quivered.

"What is that you want me to do?" I asked him cautiously.

"That, you shall find out soon," With that, he held the door open for me. I stared at the familiar insides of the room. The place looked way mundane for such a brutal interrogation to have taken place here.

"Welcome to Level one," He told me. I looked at him warily before stepping inside the room. He followed me inside. I was more aware of him than the whole room. My pulse spiked when he closed the door behind him. I could feel his eyes burning at my back. I swallowed hard again.

He gave me a brief pensive look before walking to one of those long tables. I noticed two boxes laying on the table. I hesitantly walked up to them as well. From where I was standing I couldn't see what was in the boxes but I could definitely claim that they were heavy.

Beside those boxes were laying several small metallic instruments which I'd never seen before and could never fathom what they could be used for.

"These," He started, glancing at me, "are boxes full of bolts and nuts. They have been mixed up while being transported here. They need to be sorted in order to be used efficiently," He explained, "Usually my Butler would do this minor work but he has been quite busy lately," He informed, his eyes were burning on my face as he said the last bit. I tried to act oblivious as I shifted on my feet. "Since you have enough time in your hands, I consider you an ideal candidate for this work," He told me, taking a couple of the nuts and bolts out and laying them on the table for me to see.

I watched them as they rolled away. They were all of a different size and shape.

"Any questions?" He enquired.

"Yes,"

"What is it?"

"Aren't they slightly big to fit in a watch?" I asked him as I eyed the bolts the size of my little finger rolling away on the long table. When he didn't answer my question I glanced up at him to find a grim look on his face. It didn't seem like he was going to answer that question of mine.

"Alright," I grumbled, "You said your butler would usually do this, right?" I asked next.

"Yes,"

"Which means he would have been paid to do this, right?"

"Yes,"

"You're going to pay me too to do this, right?" I asked. Silence was his only response to this question of mine. "Mr. Night?" I pressed when he continued to drown me in silence.

"Why would I pay you?" He asked me.

"Why would I do the work?" I asked back. Again, he fell silence. "An incentive is always attractive," I flashed him a sweet smile. The look on his face turned grimmer. I couldn't read his face but I could tell that he wasn't enjoying this bargain.

"What would you need money for?" He asked.

"A lot of things, actually. It's an inconvenience to be here because I'm not able to catch a wealthy husband. The money should at-least compensate for that," I told him, "Until I'm able to get out of her and find myself a wealthy husband,"

He didn't look pleased with my reasoning.

_

Author's Note:

Vote. Comment. Share. Follow me

You could read up to chapter 26 on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

Updating schedule — Wednesday, Saturday

Social media
Instagram- authorritz
Facebook- Benita Ritz
Twitter- BenitaRitz

Song above — why'd you call me when you're high? - Arctic Monkeys 
(Click on the link in my bio for my Playlist)

Thanks for reading ♥︎