xxxii. sinking ship

THIRTY TWO, sinking ship

❀ ✿ ❀ ✿

"YOU'D THINK HE'D RUN OUT OF ROCKS," Percy quipped.

Aster scowled at him from under his arm. "Not the time, Seaweed Brain."

"Right."

"Swim for it!" Grover said.

He and Clarisse plunged into the surf. Annabeth hung on to Clarisse's neck and tried to paddle with one hand, the wet Fleece weighing her down. Aster tried to swim on her own, but her arms and legs were still weak from the stunt she pulled with Annabeth, so she sank faster than she could swim. She tried to urge Percy along, but he seemed to be frozen in place.

Because the monster's attention wasn't on the Fleece.

"You, young cyclops!" Polyphemus roared. "Traitor to your kind!"

Tyson froze.

"Don't listen to him!" Percy pleaded. "Come on!"

He pulled Tyson's arm, but he didn't budge. He turned and faced the older cyclops. "I am not a traitor."

"You serve mortals!" Polyphemus shouted. "Thieving humans!"

Polyphemus threw his first boulder. Tyson swatted it aside with his fist.

"Not a traitor," Tyson said. "And you are not my kind."

"Death, or victory!" Polyphemus charged into the surf, but his foot was still wounded. He immediately stumbled and fell on his face. That would've been funny, except he started to get up again, spitting salt water and growling.

"Percy! Aster!" Clarisse yelled. "Come on!"

They were almost to the ship with the Fleece. Aster and Percy were close, all things considered, and with his powers, they could make it in no time. Aster glanced at him, and she saw a glint in his eyes, like he was considering taking on the cyclops himself to save the rest of them.

"Don't even think about it," she said.

Percy looked down at her, brow furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"I know you, Percy. If you are going to pull more of that self-sacrificing bullshit, I will kill you."

"Aster–"

But Tyson had just stepped forward in the surf, pulling both of their attentions.

"Go," he said. "I will hold Big Ugly."

"No!" Percy exclaimed. "He'll kill you. We'll fight him together."

"Together," Tyson agreed.

"Get to the ship, Aster," Percy said, drawing his sword. She could feel a wave supporting her now, carrying her away from the action—no doubt the work of Percy.