Ch. 1 Begining

River's P.O.V
"Eeehh!!" I shrieked as I swam through the kelp. I looked behind me tying to see if Damien, my boyfriend, was still chasing me. Big mistake. When I turned around there he was right in front of me. I slammed into his chest and his arms automatically wrapped themselves around my waist as we fell to the sea floor laughing. I wiggled around in his arms trying to break free but to no avail. Oh I almost forgot to introduce my self I'm River, River Lynn Sand. I live with my mother and five of my brothers I really have six. I of course am the only girl except for my mother and the youngest so therefore the most 'annoying'. It sucks. I pretty much have to fend for myself. After my older brother, Liam, left for collage my other brothers pretty much started picking on me. Liam was the protective one out of all of us well more protective of me out of all of us.
For as long as I can remember it was just me and Liam. Was it my mother who cooked me food when I was hungry, no it was Liam, was it my mother who picked me up when I fell down, no it was Liam, was it my all my brothers who helped me through bully's at sea school, no it was just Liam. (Sometimes my other brothers were the bully's). My mother doesn't even look at me anymore she hates me and I never knew why. But, however, I do know why my brothers hate me, they wanted to be Liam's favorite sibling, Liam is the oldest so to be his favorite was amazing but when I came along Liam loved me from the start.
When I was younger it was me and Liam against the world, that is however, until I met Damien. I was in 8th grade when I met him and let me tell you Liam hates him always has and I don't know why. He told me not to talk to him but a couple months later we started dating. Liam was furious to say the least. Although he was still the protective loving brother he always was to me I could still feel the hatred for Damien when he saw him.
But anyway back to Damien and I. I giggled as Damien sat on the sea floor with me on his lap one of his arms under the crease in my tail and the other on my back. Oh wait I forgot to tell you, I'm a mermaid and so is Damien and my family and my neighbors and the king and queen of Atlantis and basically any other half fish in the sea, except for the sirens the will never be mer-people. Sirens are the ones that kill and lure sailors to their doom with their beautiful voices, not mermaids I mean mermaid still have the beautiful voices just we don't lure sailors to their deaths with them.
Damien and I stayed like that until he had to leave he quickly got up gave me a hug and said goodbye before swimming off. I was about to go home when I saw something shinning in the water. When I looked down I saw the necklace I gave him had fallen off when I ran into him. I picked it off and swam in the direction he left.
"Damien!" I called as I swam into town "Damien you dropped your neckl-" my breath caught in my throat as I stared at the scene in front of me. Damien and Emily the 'popular' girl from school making out on a bench. I stayed for a minuet to see if he would push her off but it never came. Tears swelled up in my eyes and threatened to fall and be washed away in the current. I threw the necklace in my hand at his head and whispered "how could you".
Damien looked at me with confusion in his eyes and then guilt. Emily on the other hand glared at me. "What do you want?" She sneered "didn't your parents or something ever teach you not to interrupt, especially a happy couple."
"Damien how could you do this to me" I asked even though I knew I didn't want to know.
"River I-" he began but I cut him off.
"My brother was right about you I knew I should've listened we're through" I yelled.
I swam away like my life depended on it. This was the day the only other person I thought cared about me walked out of my life. I swam into the house not bothering talking to my mother or brothers who looked at me with disgust. I would make them all happy I would disappear from their lives, I would run away. When I got to my room I grabbed my biggest bag and shoved every article of clothing I owned into the bag. Next came little trinkets and pictures including all my jewelry except the the necklaces and bracelets Damien got me and pictures of me and Liam. Liam! I could go to Liam and stay with him it would only take two days to swim to his collage and I could stop at hotels. When I was done packing only one picture remained. It was of me and Damien together holding hands while he kissed my cheek. I grabbed the the wooden frame made from a piece of drift wood that I found on the surface and smashed it. I would never need it anyway.
I swam over to my window and swung it open. I took one last look around my room and swam.