Chapter Thirty-Three: Comprehension

(Y/n)'s POV

Two days had passed and the palace seems more uplift now since the day Aleksander came in charge. To my surprise, they were intimidated by the queen's strict demands, especially for Nikolas's birthday.

Aleksander had been more occupied than usual with running errands from left to right and Nikolas's upcoming birthday celebration at his hands. As much as I want to lend a helping hand, I knew Nikolas wouldn't be too happy to hear that.

Since those two days, Nikolas had gotten better and back to his usual self. But he didn't look beaming after hearing that his brother would be in charge of the castle, as expected. I knocked on Nikolas's door, giving in the maiden's request to check up on him.

He hasn't come out of his room, and all we could hear was loud banging and crashing. I was concerned and worried, even if I depicted him like a monster. Nikolas didn't answer and ignored my call, "Nikolas, are you alright? You haven't ate since morning," I raised my voice with a worrying tone.

The stomping and muffled groans stopped as I could hear Nikolas makes his way forward and twisting the doorknob open, making me flinch from the loud slam of the door against the wall. I gulped down a fearful look and stepped back while he eyed me down with swift cuts from his palms and messy, blonde hair.

His expression didn't hesitate to change from his furrowed brows and aching scorn, he looked too intimidating that I felt so little from his cutting stare. "You're...you're a mess, Nikolas." I frowned, reaching to touch his hair and move it away from his face. He stopped me with a hand squeezing my wrist while I stood stock-still, my palms sweating with my palpitating heart.

Many terrorizing thoughts came to mind, as if running like the white rabbit in a hurry. "I'm glad you're doing fine, Nikolas." said a voice, we turned to meet eyes with Aleksander while he pulled me back away from his brother's grasps. "You!" Nikolas pointed at his brother with clouded rage over his icicle, blue eyes.

"Stay away from (y/n), you damn bastard!" Nikolas took my hand and pulled me towards him as Aleksander's hands slid away, hitting Nikolas to his chest while he wrapped his arm around my waist. I felt like I was some doll getting stolen from, and I did not liked it one bit.

I pushed Nikolas away with a scowl, stepping back from the tensed princes. "If I may intrude, but I do not like being pushed here and there. Can I at least have my own mind and not get pushed around like some dolly!" I fumed, snapping at both of the prince's while they stared with wide eyes.

"I knew I liked you for a reason, my dearest (y/n). I caught myself a feisty one." Nikolas smirked with crossed arms, already knowing that he was not apologetic, even in the slightest. No hints of it whatsoever. Aleksander glared at his brother and turned back to me, "I apologize for my behavior, lady (y/n)." he bowed his head low, hearing the sorrow just from his voice.

"As you should be, you fool. Don't ever touch my wife again." Nikolas barked while Aleksander rolled his eyes, ignoring his brother's insults. To see them like this was quite the comedy, if only those insults weren't to be quite personal would it be better.

If Nikolas were never this cruel, would it change everything. The two ended up having a huge argument about being in charge as Nikolas accepted defeat and went back to his room, making me jump once again from the loud slam of the door.

Aleksander shook his head in displease and craned his head to look at me, "I'm surprise you're still sane, lady (y/n)." he let out a slight chuckle, "Believe me your highness, I'm quite close to losing it." I replied back while we let out a small laugh.

"Would you please join me on a walk?" Aleksander ask, making me look back at Nikolas's room with hesitation. I met back with his eyes and nod my head, "Of course, your highness." I answered while he began to walk while I followed suit. The cloudy days seems to be close to over, for the sun shun bright from each window we passed from the elongated hallway.

"Lady (y/n), I'd like to discuss about our plans on befalling your husband," Aleksander looked at me at the corner of his eye, making sure I was listening with all ears. "I hope you're aware that when Nikolas is no longer part of the royal family, you're out of the imperial palace." he stated while we walked inside the garden, the sun shining bright inside as the flowers bloomed from around us.

"I'm aware of that, your highness," I responded, stopping from my tracks with my gaze set to his. "And what will happen to you, your highness? I mean, you'd lose some you surely had loved." I pushed my head forward with a frown, sharing my thoughts.

"I had never loved Nikolas, lady (y/n). The only ones I had grown to love and respect is my father and you," Aleksander spoke softly with his narrow gaze fixated my (e/c) eyes as he pushed a strand of my hair back.

"You're a strong woman, lady (y/n). And I believe that you're the key to our demise."