Chapter twenty-seven

"Put your seatbelt on," Louis muttered, clicking his own seatbelt in its place before flicking his fringe aside from his eyes

"Put your seatbelt on," Louis muttered, clicking his own seatbelt in its place before flicking his fringe aside from his eyes. Harry nodded, swiftly doing what he was told before he turned his head to face the alpha with a big smile tugging up at his features. "So, any specific reason as to why you want to visit the city area?"

Harry glanced up at the question, playing with the rings embellishing his fingers before he answered, "um, you know how the plants I sowed in the backyard died?" When Louis nodded in response, he continued, "well, I was thinking, we could get plants that already have bloomed flowers from the nursery."

From his vantage point, he saw Louis nod his head in understanding. "Won't the flowers be damaged once it snows or even due to the cold weather?" The blue-eyed alpha questioned inquisitively which made Harry beam slightly. It seemed as if Louis was really showing interest in the things he liked and was actually paying close attention to what he was prattling about. "Well, I am thinking of getting winter pansies, winter honeysuckles, Christmas roses, snowdrops, winter aconites, and winter clematis." He listed off the flowers he had seen his mum grow in the winters in her sheltered conservatory outdoors.

"The winter's going to be harsh this time," Louis stated as he swerved the car to a right arch, now driving on the smooth thoroughfare instead of the muddy trails of the woods. Harry bit his lip in concern, knowing perfectly well how harsh winters could get up here in the north. "Young plants are much more vulnerable and susceptible to a light freeze, so if we get more mature plants, they will only suffer short-term effects, which can be solved pretty easily since plants are quite resilient."

"And besides, I was thinking of building a small garden shed, so you know they are somewhat sheltered?" Louis quirked an eyebrow at that, turning to face him fleetingly with amusement painting his features. "And who's going to build a whole shed?" Harry faltered at the frisky question, pinching his bottom lip in between his index finger and thumb. "Um, yo— me?" He prayed to any deity above that Louis didn't notice his tiny blunder but it seemed that his prayers must have gone to deaf ears as seconds later Louis honked out a laugh.

"Don't think I can build you a shed for your flowers, fleur." He noticed how Louis stiffened discernibly, seconds after he had uttered out the words. The tips of his ears went a bleeding crimson at the nickname that had accompanied the response. "Um, it's okay, then. I guess I'll plant flowers once the winter is over." He broke the heavy silence, playing with his wedding ring to distract himself.

"Yeah, that's probably a better idea." Harry heaved out a defeated sigh, slouching down while he turned his head to watch the trees sprint by them, not paying much attention to the soft groan Louis released. "Turn around, then? Or, maybe you can stop the car, and I'll walk my way home?" He suggested, craning his neck to gauge Louis' reaction. "Do you seriously fucking th—" He watched from his peripheral vision as Louis paused transitorily, his fists gripping the steering wheel in a vice-like grip, knuckles waning a vigor pallid in appearance.