3

KANE

After 2 weeks of the same old bickering, playfulness, and peace, we were informed to come to the ONNT headquarters; regarding Krawsoski. Lately Jake has been coming out of his shell and occasionally flirts with Delphinium which was a total shock for everyone including her.

We reached the headquarters in some time and headed straight towards the director's cabin. Hunt was standing there looking worried. He looked at us and masked his expression. Riley asked what was wrong, but he simply stared at us. We stood there waiting for him to answer. When he did not, Benton answered, "Krasowski has not been answering any questions, but has revealed that there is another set of children having enhanced abilities" with his eyes narrowed. That was followed by pin-drop silence.

We stood there digesting the fact that there are more of us, because of Krasowski's madness. "Where are they?", asked Delphinium.

"We have an inkling as to where they can be but not a location to be exact. We can only be sure once Benton reads her thoughts. She gave us a riddle to crack; we have got an answer which some of you might not like. I'll tell you the riddle first" Hunt replied.

"A place it is with the buzzing of machines,

A place it is where one can scream,

A place it is where cure and death are deemed,

A place it is where I am the queen" Hunt finished looking at everyone, especially at Arlo.

Everybody was contemplating the answer when Jake spoke up, "The laboratory where they kept Arlo". Arlo seemed to be knowing the answer as he was still as a statue.

"There is more to it, isn't it?" asked Riley, anxiety clear in her voice. At that Benton stumbled back wide-eyed and looked at me. I was fearing the answer, but still asked, "What is it?"

"We weren't sure as to why Krasowski was speaking this, until today. We got to know that a few more enhanced children have been kidnapped and kept at the laboratory she was talking about. We received a call from your mother today saying that one of your sisters, Diana Shires has been missing for over a week now. We suspect her to be one of the enhanced children who has been kidnapped by Krasowski in the laboratory for experimentation. We sent a search party to the place where we rescued Arlo from, but they came empty-handed." Hunt replied looking grave.

I felt like the whole world turned upside down. Anger, fear and shock were clearly seen on my face. The room was deathly still as everyone stood understanding what clearly happened.

As realization dawned on me, I rushed out of the room, banging the door as I left. I went straight towards the temporary cell of Krasowski. She was sitting there with a smug smile on her face. Guards surrounded me in case I lost control and attacked her. Which was partially true.

I took deep breaths trying to calm my anger and overcome my shock. Benton came inside looking like he is going to burn Krasowski to ashes. He started concentrating to look into her thoughts. But his face was scrunching up in confusion and irritation. He tried for a long time and finally gave up looking ready to kill her a hundred times.

He went outside with me following behind not before giving her another glare. We went back to Hunt's cabin, Benton's face still unreadable. As we reached Benton started, "I am not able to read her thoughts". Everyone looked up shocked at him.

"She is drugged. It's like there is a wall blocking her thoughts from me.", he continued.

"How is that possible? She has been here for more than months. And she has been getting only water and food from our soldiers. Who would drug her and with what?", Hunt asked looking more than angry.

"I guess there is a mole among your soldiers. Don't give her food and water for over a week. We'll see if the drug subsides from her body" Jake replied calmly.

"Well then, if we find any information, we will give it to you. Till then until next week." Hunt said dismissing us.

All the while back to the compound, there were so many questions going on my mind. Where was Diana? She has abilities like us? What ability can she have? Why didn't she tell any of us? Is she safe?

As soon as we reached, I headed to my room. Riley was supporting me silently as she knew I needed some time alone with myself. I was alone in the room with my thoughts pooling around me.

I stopped getting close with my own family once Benny left, scared that they might leave too. I never talked and spent much time with them, but still, I loved them. I am not as broken as I was when Benny left, but I do regret not being able to give them much attention. She was after all my sister, and it was my duty to protect her and I failed. I failed. I thought staying away from them would lessen their burden, but it is lessening our family members.

Fear crawled to my throat at the thought of what would happen to her. What will they experiment her with? Krasowski said she wanted Gigi so that she could observe what happens inside her body. Would they do the same thing with her? Arlo was injected with various chemicals in his body which led to his body being degenerated. Will the same happen to her? At these thoughts, I felt like my other leg also being cut off.

I needed to get out to clear my head. I started from my room and went out to the nearby park.