Chapter 5

"When you want to express your gratitude, Bethany, make sure you do it with courtesy," the sister would say to her each time new adoptive parents came for her, bending her slender torso and twisting her knees with much enthusiasm as though she were the one to be adopted. 

"Bethany dear," she bent down and placed her arms on Beth's shoulders. "This couple… They are really good people, I am sure that this time they will…" 

"Why do you always want me to go with them?" 

"You deserve a family. This orphanage is not going to be enough to make you become the woman you deserve to be. You need loving parents." The sister had explained for about the thousandth time, and she hoped she would not have to explain again, that would mean another rejection. 

The sister made sure her clothes were smooth enough, her dress was the proper length, her shoes weren't dusty, and that she had proper manners for when she would meet with the couple. The child before her was a gifted one, she would tell everyone, and she would make sure she gets into a good home in spite of the growing affection she had for the child. 

"Sister Anna." Beth called in a whisper. "What are you looking at?" 

"Nothing, Bethany. Now go, you don't want them to start yelling at you again." Beth shook her head left and right, and ran through the door. 

Beth sat before the couple from the other side of the table. The two did seem as nice as sister Annabelle described them to be; the woman had brown hair, a round jaw, and a smile that exposed the top row of her teeth in a beautiful manner. The man was tall and chubby, with short curly blonde hair, and a brown sweater that made him look like a giant teddy bear. 

"How old are you, sweetie?" The woman asked. 

Beth had a finger in her hair, scratching on her scalp, and she barely heard the woman speak. "What did you say, madam?" 

"I asked how old you were" 

"uhhhmm twelve years old…" she said it as though she were asking a question. Her stomach growled and she held it tight with her free arm, not willing to let the parents know of her deep confusion and anxiety that only translated to a growl and a mere itching of the head to the outside world. 

"She's so little," said the teddy bear man. 

"I know honey. She's a sweet little thing, I think she is perfect." 

Beth remained, thinking about how she could get crispy smashed potatoes from sister Annabelle once she was through with the meeting. How would she sneak in this time? 

"What do you like to do, Bethany? What games do you like to play?" the woman asked. 

"There is nothing interesting to do. But I like to play on the roof." 

"The roof?" 

"Shhhhh… TheThe sisters don't know," Beth whispered. 

Their faces grew sour, just like the rest of them, and it wasn't enough. Usually they gave up in the first meeting after a few questions, but this couple were not as inquisitive. 

"Why the roof, dear?" asked the woman hesitantly. 

"It is easy to breathe there," Beth said, "and no one would think of looking for me on the roof." She continued in a whisper. 

"Why do you want to stay hidden? Are you playing hide and seek?" the teddy bear man asked. 

"It's a secret."

The parents glared at each other for a moment, and then their smiles returned, but a little more awkward. 

"You have a good spirit, and you must have a lot of energy. Those are good things." The man said.