Chapter 3

Maddie's POV

"Uh hi" I said, lacking the confidence I intended to show.

"Tell Bellamy I don't need one of his pawns to make sure I leave. I have no interest in coming back" said Murphy as he got up from the ground without making eye contact.

"Wait! That's not why I'm here!"

He was already walking away so I jogged to catch up to him, trying to ignore the agony I felt as I took each step.

"If I throw a stick, will you go away?"

Well isn't he charming.

"Listen, I just need to ask you a question"

"Make it quick"

He finally stopped. Thank goodness.

"What's today's date?"

"Do I look like a calendar to you?"

"Ok then, I just need the year. What year is it?"

He stayed quiet for a while. It was dark but I could tell he had started examining me.

We looked very different. Apart from physical features and the obvious height difference, our clothing was extremely unlike.

I had the mom jeans I ripped to cover my wound, a white Tommy sweatshirt, jewelry, and black vans.  My chestnut brown hair was brushed out and a little pin held two small strands at the back.

I realized this was the outfit I picked to go to the movies with Holly tonight. Well not tonight. That night.

Murphy, on the other hand, looked like he got mauled by a bear and was later thrown into a trash bin filled with dirt.

"I haven't seen you around camp. What's your name?"

"That's not important. Just please answer my question."

"2149"

"What?"

"That's it. Now scram"

No. No that can't be right, he's messing with be. The Murphy guy is just being sarcastic.

I realized he had kept walking and had just left me behind.

Once more, I hurried to catch up.

"Ha ha very funny. Now tell me the truth. The year."

"I said leave me alone!"

Unexpectedly, Murphy turned around, grabbed me by the shoulder with one hand and held a knife to my throat with the other.

My breath quickened.

"You sure love threatening people with knives don't you"

I followed that with a forced laugh that sounded more like a whimper.

I had tried to lighten up the mood, attempting to sound more confident than I felt, but my voice had gone up a few octaves when I said that.