Season 4 - Part 9: A long way back

Slowly his eyes opened. "What... whe.. where am I?" Gilbert sat right up and looked around, totally confused. Anne was devastated and hugged him tightly, upon wich Gilbert began to moarn. "Ouch, what happend, Anne?" Anne had to hold her tears when she saw Gilbert looking at her with a strange face. "Come Gilbert, you have to be taken care of and its way to cold outside." Their own horse was still standing on the street, but without its wagon. Anne took Gilbert inside and helped him lay down on the bed. He had become so weak, and it broke Anne's heart to see him like this. Anne knew she had to save the horse, because else it also could be stolen in this creepy neighbourhood."Gilbert, I need you to lay down and don't move, okay? I'll be right back." And Anne hurried outside. She found an old stable next to the hostel, and the owner offered to let the horse stay there for the night. Anne thanked him deeply and went back to the hostel.

When Anne went into the room, Gilbert startled. "Don't be scared, it's just me." Anne whispered. Gilbert tried to sit up and his face twisted from the pain. Anne laid him back immediately and decided she had to take a look at the damage. Gilbert's face only had a blue eye, but Anne was more scared for the damage his chest and ribs could have.

Anne asked for permission and gently untied his undershirt. She felt like she was doing something not right, and she couldn't help turning red. She had never seen so much of Gilbert's body.

All the color on her face left when she saw the bruises on his ribs.
Anne hurried to the sink and wet a cloth. She took care of the painful spots and started to sob. Gilbert looked at her and pinched her hand. "Don't worry Anne, I'm gonna be fine allright?" Anne nodded softly and kissed his forehead. "Now you have to take a good rest." Anne left him be and climbed up the ladder of the bunkbed. Then she felt a hand grabbing her ankle softly. "Would you please lay with me Anne?" She went down. "Ofcourse Gil." She carefully laid down and felt Gilbert's arms wrapping around her. Anne blushed but she felt comfortable and soon both of them fell asleep.

The first thing Anne saw when she woke up was Gilberts sleeping face, slowly breathing in and out. Anne never had seen him so vulnerable and innocent. Gilbert opened his eyes and smiled when he saw Anne. "Hello there," she said, smiling a little bit. Gilbert wanted to say something but then a look of shock took his smile away. For the first time he remembered what happened last night. He laid his hand on Anne's cheek, giving her a look filled with regret. "I'm so sorry Anne, that I wasn't able to protect you... And the wagon, us." Anne took his hand. "No, that's not true, at least you tried and stood up for us, and I think you're very brave for doing that." 

After Anne comforted Gilbert they went back. Gilbert still felt pain but it was getting better. Because they didn't have a wagon anymore, they both had to sit on the horse, what made the trip longer because the horse needed many stops. And so did the tired Anne and Gilbert.

They passed the phenomenal oaktree again and both of them felt relieved to leave Hazelbrook, because what a scary town was that. Both of them were quiet, in a non- awkward way. Gilbert was enjoying the sight of the landscape and felt butterflies by Annes close presence. Meanwhile, Anne studied Gilberts strong arms, closing her in as he held the horse under control.
She felt safe in his arms and leaned against his shoulder. She felt his warm breath against her ear and she knew, that everything was going to be allright.