Episode 3: A Beast and his Rose

As you may have already figured out, this story is very very complicated, so complex that it can't be summed up to simply one fairy tale, or at least one true story. As discussed last chapter, there are multiple ways for one to simply enter a world, whether it is simply getting a tree nymph to open a portal, flying with pixie dust or most notoriously the mysterious wishing well. 

Somehow, Flume and Melusina had gotten their hands on one of those properties- and apparently, someone else. But don't worry, we'll get to that, I promise you. For now, let's take you back to a simpler time, back before all of this chaos. Most importantly, back when everything had started.

Or rather, how this specific mess began. Years ago, there was no Iris trying to take over, nor Flume dwelling in the human world. Every action has its effects. You are probably wondering what happened to make this one change. Well, we'll tell you not only how it began but also how it affects this very story.

                                                          ***

Rosewood Castle, June 2017

Cherry Haunt, North Lively

Cherry Haunt was one of the most smallest towns in North Lively, and perhaps was full of such rain and thunder, it made the Forbidden Mountains seem rather welcoming. Not that any of its inhabitants often dwelt in the town. For one reason, half of the citizens were supposedly inanimate objects that were, well, animate. It was located in the region of Yew, which was very close to the capital of the nation. 

The citizens  that weren't were often reclusive and hid in the grand fortress that was Rosewood Castle. Rosewood Castle was once a great fortress, the vaulted ceilings, the great painted windows that were elegant stain glass portraits of the royal family and were filled with marble statues of angels. 

Now, the nearly all the stain glass portraits were shattered, the angels were replaced with gargoyles and the castle was now painted black and velvet curtains. The prince had become a recluse, it appeared. He was homeschooled by Mrs. Potts, however it only made him more cantankerous. His parents were deceased although his mother was killed by the enchantress. As for his father's death, well, it was too shameful for one to speak of. 

Then again, Prince Adam was always angry. Well, not always. Every summer, the palace was filled with guests once more. One guest actually. Once a week every Thursday, the girl would arrive to see Adam. They didn't know her name though, but they often nicknamed her Rose.

One Thursday morning as  Mrs. Potts hopped to the Prince's bedroom, she could hear Adam's voice speaking through a cell phone. "Anyway, you know I can't wait to see you. While you're there, could you get me a pizza? You know I do miss them."

Mrs. Potts rolled her eyes, amused at Adam's discussion with the girl. They were a rather unusual pair yet they were also very inseparable. "Come on," he said in a rather teasing voice. She heard a smile in his voice. "You won't give me a pizza? Fine."

An hour later, the servants heard a loud knock at the gate. Mrs. Potts gazed out the window to see a small figure in a black cloak. As she looked closer, she realized it was the girl, although she looked rather different. Her sleek dark  hair was freshly dyed a rather light pink, making her resemble her nickname.  She watched as the gate began to open by itself. 

                                                                 ***

As Flume entered the house, she felt rather cold and uncomfortable, a feeling she always shrugged off. Flume had been a visitor in the palace for several years and knew that the dark interior of the manor suited the mood. The entrance was the exact same. Same long velvety red carpet that extended towards the stairs, same baroque ceilings that were as beautiful as ever. The castle was even more elegant than hers. Flume however noticed how impersonal the house was this time. Not photos, no portraits. It was so different now. Flume had always believed that a home should have pictures. It was indeed different this year because the Lord Rosewood, the Prince Of Yew was dead, resulting in Adam becoming his successor. Another observation was that the room was so dusty it was visible.