Chapter 14 ~ Rhett

The week had passed before Rhett's eyes. They'd spent it running back and forth between the ranch and the hospital like chickens with their heads cut off.

Mama had been discharged the day before yesterday, and they'd moved into a room at the farmhouse to keep an eye on her for a few days.

Tae settled the argument between his mother and him on where Caroline would stay.

"You can't stay by yourself, so you're coming to stay with me, Mom. End of story," Rhett had said.

"Rhett Montgomery, don't you take that tone with me. I brought you into this world, and I can take you out too," Mama said.

"You heard the doctor, you can't stay by yourself, " he argued.

"I'll be just fine. I've taken care of myself this long, a little heart problem ain't going to change that now," she said proudly.

"Well, Mama Care, the doctor did say that you'd feel okay now, but once the drugs wore off that you'd be hurting," she said to help Rhett.

"Exactly," Rhett sighed.

"I don't want to stay with you guys," she had said.

"Well, how about this? We'll stay in a room at the farmhouse with you," Taylor supplied.

His mother finally agreed, and he sighed in relief.

Now, two days later, he regretted agreeing to stay here. He'd slept like hell on his old mattress from when he was a kid.

Rhett was pacing the floor in front of the dining room windows, and Taylor and his mother were both sitting at the table. He could feel their eyes following him as he paced.

"Rhett, all that pacing is going to give you a complex," his mother chastised him.

He stopped and looked out the window. There was no sign of Rose.

"Have you heard anything from her?" he asked again.

His insides were shaking with anticipation, but he was trying to be calm.

"No, Rhett. In her usual fashion, Rose hasn't said anything besides the short call she sent last Wednesday," Mama Care said, shaking her head.

He blew out another breath, and Tae got up. She walked up to him and pointed to the barn through the window.

"Go fix that radio that Mama needed," she said.

Rhett looked down at her like she was crazy.

"What, can't that wait?" he asked her.

She shook her head.

"No. You're about to walk a hole through the floor, and you need a distraction," she said pointing at the back door.

He nodded his head, but looked again at the front door.

What if she shows up while I'm in the barn? he thought to himself.

"Uh, uh. Before you say it, she will not get here while you're out there. If she does, we'll call you as soon as we see her car," she said sternly. "Now get out of here before I have to kill you," she said smiling.

He kissed her forehead and murmured his thanks, then headed towards the barn. This was the family barn, and it was bigger than his private barn. He'd always hidden out in the hayloft when he was younger. He was able to avoid Jack if he stayed hidden and out of the way. Thinking about those times now, he headed towards the rickety latter. After climbing up, he sat down in front of the window on a bale of hay like he had so many times before.