Chapter One: Stories of Edward

Growing up, I heard stories about a man named Edward Scissorhands, told to me by my grandmother, Kim. She would talk of Edward's talent with being able to shape bushes and ice into anything of his choosing.

I was awed by the tales I was told. I spent most of my time imagining what it would be like to meet Edward, but eventually, I had to give up on that dream. I knew that I had to take care of my grandmother, who was ill and was getting worse by the day.

I was about nineteen years old when I made the decision that changed my life. When I realized that my grandmother wasn't going to make it for much longer, I convinced my family to finally move in with her. We moved our few things into the house where my grandmother was raised to keep her company in the last few hours that may have remained for her.

After a couple of weeks of my family living with Grandma Kim, I was asked to go into my grandmother's room to talk with her. I did and sat by her bedside.

"Is there something that you need, Grandmother?" I asked.

She shook her head and said, "No, Samantha. I just wanted to let you know that someday, you will fall in love like I did. And even if love doesn't come in a way that you expect it, you will find that your love will grow for him faster than you could imagine."

"Grandmother, what are you talking about?" I asked, slightly confused.

My grandmother sighed. "Dear Samantha, I want you to know that the stories that I told you when you were younger were true. I didn't make up the man in them. Edward Scissorhands was my first real love. And he knows that I'm not doing so well. He might come by the house at night and give the yard a little gift in my memory, just remember that."

"Grandmother, you aren't making any sense. Edward Scissorhands if just a made up character. No one could really be like that, can they?"

My grandma nodded. "Sweetie, just look forward to tonight. And if something does happen, go to the castle that's at the top of the hill, okay?"

"Isn't that place haunted, Grandma?"

She shook her head. "Just do as I ask. Everything will be explained if you just trust me and do what I ask."

"Okay," I promised, "I will go to the castle tomorrow afternoon. But I doubt that I'll find much. Either way, I'll go, just for you, Grandma."

That night, I could barely sleep. Grandmother had passed away shortly after my talk with her. I was too upset to eat a full dinner or to even sleep properly.

After a while, I went to the front room and sat on the couch, slightly moving one of the curtains back from the window. I looked out into the black night, seeing nothing more than a glimmer of moonlight and a few shadows moving to a slight breeze.

I stared at the dark shadows and could have sworn that I saw something moving by a tree that grew in the yard. I jumped up from my seat and rushed outside to see if I could get a better look at what was blurring the air around the tree.

I hid by the side of the house and squinted in the dark. Soon, my eyes fully adjusted and I saw a man trimming the tree. Well, it was actually more like shaping and forming the tree. Then I saw a light reflected by the man. I slowly approached, though still hid in the darkness as to not be seen or heard.

When the figure stopped working on what they were doing, they stepped away and looked at their work. I watched as he ran hurriedly to the old castle on the hill in the distance.

"That's the place Grandma Kim told me to go to," I thought out loud.

A cold chill swept over me and I returned to my house, going directly to my bedroom and falling asleep fast.