Chapter Four: Convincing the Family and Town

When I returned to my house, I went to the family room and told my parents that I had to talk to them about something.

"What is it?" my mother asked as both she and my father sat on the couch.

I took a deep breath before saying, "Mom, Dad, I think that we should move into the castle on the hill. We could have it fixed up and looking great. I'm sure that it would be fun. Please, can we live there?"

My mother stared at me. "Samantha, what gave you that crazy idea? You know what everyone in the town says about that old castle. It creeps everybody out. And everyone is too afraid to even look at it anymore."

"But mom, the reason why I want to live there is because Edward is lonely. He needs a family, mom. And Grandma Kim knew him."

"What? Samantha, that doesn't make any sense. Most of the people who knew your grandmother aren't alive anymore. How could someone know her? And who is Edward?"

"You know the stories that Grandmother would tell me when I was younger? The ones that she also had told to you when you were young? Well, they were about Edward Scissorhands. And he wasn't just a character, mom. Edward is a real person. He really lives in the old castle. Mom, please, can we live there. He'd love the company."

My parents stared at me. "Samantha, this is crazy. How could that man be real? Honestly? A man with scissorhands? It's just not possible."

I crossed my arms. "If I can prove that he is real and not harmful to you and the town, can we move into the caslte?"

My father sighed and looked at my mother, who was also looking at him. He looked back to me and said, "And if you can't prove it and convince the town and us, what will happen?"

"Then I'll give up on it and I'll stop trying to make us live there. Okay?"

My father nodded. "Fine."

The next day, I had a barbeque party at the house. The entire town was invited. Most of the people were interested in the tree that Edward had shaped.

Halfway during the party, I said, "Everyone, please listen up. We were all told stories by our parents and grandparents when we were young. And one story that my grandmother told me was of a man named Edward."

"Wasn't that the man who was evil and had strange hands?" someone asked.

I shook my head. "In truth, Edward was never evil. He was just misunderstood. And he isn't just a character. He's real and he lives in the castle on the hill."

One woman laughed. "Are you trying to say that someone actually lives there? That someone has been there for years?"

I nodded. "Edward was created by a scientist. My great-grandmother found him one day and brought him to her house to live with her family for a while. My grandmother, Kim, was Edward's only true friend. He loved her. But the town didn't understand him. They got along with him for a while, but soon, they turned against him.

"Because of what the town did, Edward locked himself in the caslte, never wanting to ever come down. But he had to one night. When my Grandma Kim died, he came here and carved that tree into a dancing girl."

The town began whispering amoung themselves. "Prove it!" one person shouted.

"If I prove it, then you guys must agree that you won't judge Edward right away. You have to get to know him. Agree to that, or I won't proe it to you."

The town agreed not to judge Edward. I instructed them to follow me to the castle, which they did.

"Edward," I called out. "Edward, I have a couple of visitors from the town. They wanted to meet you."

Edward appeared from a room and stared at the townspeople. They stared back at him. They looked at me and smiled lightly.

I smiled and walked over to where Edward was. "Edward, I'd like you to meet my family as well," I told him. I led him to where my parents were. "Mom, Dad, this is Edward. Edward, these are my parents."

Edward smiled. "It's nice to meet you."

My mother stared at him. "You mean that my mother was telling the truth? You were telling the truth?"

I nodded. Finally the town knew Edward. And this time, things would be better than before. They would allow him to be who he was.