Copyright + Author's Note

R U S H

R U S H

-Book One of THE RAPTURE SERIES-

"Sometimes, I wondered if there was ever a time when I hadn't cared so much about others' opinions of me: either the subtle ones I'd heard through hushed whispers... or the harsher ones that I'd fabricated within my own mind. If there was a way to appease the vicious hounding of my own worries as they nipped at my heels, it felt far beyond my reach.

More than anything, I longed for the peace of hearing something unpleasant and allowing it to rush through me without it tearing me apart."

---

Bennett Oden had long ago grown accustomed to the numbing coldness of reality. He led a miserable existence at the hands of his father, but starving was all he knew. He understood how to navigate it... and how to survive on having just enough. On being just enough. Then, he crashed into Mason Locke—warmth incarnate.

-------

All Rights Reserved.

Copyright: RUSH (Book One of THE RAPTURE SERIES) including all associated books, chapters, prologues, epilogues, and associated written content is copyrighted. All rights reserved by the owner and creator of this work, Hec Daevis (HecDaevis). Any unauthorized copying, broadcasting, manipulation, distribution, or selling of this work constitutes copyright infringement. Any infringement of copyright is punishable by law.

-------

This book is dedicated to...

My sister, Andrea, for always supporting me, no matter how many times I've almost given up. I love and appreciate you more than words can ever explain. Thank you for being my best friend.

And my dear mom, for always encouraging me... and for teaching me about love and sacrifice. When you're happy, I'm happy.

-------

A/N: Hello! Welcome to RUSH, Book One of THE RAPTURE SERIES! RUSH, formerly known as Gym Love, holds a very special place in my heart. It was initially posted back on June 21, 2014, and I have loved and learned a lot through and because of these characters. This new version is heavily rewritten and improved, holding onto the essence of the novel while hopefully providing you with its best iteration yet. It is the culmination of a lot of long nights and my deep adoration for these characters, all transcribed into thousands upon thousands of words for your enjoyment.

I poured a lot of myself and my life into both main characters, which has made me that much more serious about properly tackling the many intense themes present within the book. From someone who once wrecked themselves trying to fit unachievable ideals, I promise there is more to life than being consumed by the world's and the media's unhealthy expectations. Yet, I do understand such ideals can also be so unbearably suffocating and hard to escape. I just hope you know I'm here, I relate, and I believe in you.

There will be a lot of dark topics discussed within the book, some of which may be triggering given their connection to the toxic aspects of fitness culture. Other themes include mentions of anxiety, depression, homophobia, fatphobia, domestic violence (at the hands of Bennett's father), etc. I will provide proper trigger warnings below, even if at the risk of spoilers. And I will also include individual TWs at the start of specific chapters when necessary... because it matters. 

At its core, RUSH represents the struggle of two young queer men who are hurting in different ways, whose pasts have molded them into who they are, and who realize they can help each other heal and learn how to want more out of life than just the bare minimum. Because they do deserve it. You do too. I'm the type of author who loves rambling in metaphors and incorporating motifs and symbolism, so if you catch anything while reading, I'd cherish any discussion or theories in the comments.

In many ways, Bennett and Mason are simply meant for each other, and this is just the chaotic product of a hopeless romantic.

-------

*Spoiler Warnings*

TW: Body Dysmorphia, Domestic Violence, Fatphobia (mostly internalized), Hate Crimes, Homophobia, Mental Illness (Anxiety & Depression), Racism, Self-injurious behavior (Eating Disorders & Self-Harm), Suicidal Ideation, & Sexism.

Note: The trigger warnings listed above describe themes that are NOT glorified or presented positively in any way, shape, or form within the book. However, many are discussed in detail, so please be warned. Bennett is a complex character who comes from an abusive household, has a lot of issues, and has unfortunately developed a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms. So, be warned that he is an unreliable narrator. He's struggling with eating disorders and body dysmorphia, which means his mentality is often NOT to be looked up to or replicated.

-------

A/N: Welcome to RUSH

Love, Hec