Chapter 7

Their sleeping figures taunted me.

Like waves that gently lob above the sea, their blankets rose and fell in rhythm with nature.

Each breath the trees outside took, Lexa and Clarke soon followed suit. The expansion of blue and green pulsed together with the brown that encompassed everyone. Was it the Earth that swayed them to be in sync or was it the sheer vulnerability of their bare souls that persuaded such actions?

Perhaps it was neither. For it could very well be their intwined spirits that was moulded by the hardships they went through together.

Now that I think about it, their energies were slightly tinted by each other's, in the sense that Clarke's blue was faint with Lexa's green and vice versa.

I looked down at my own hands, seeing for the thousandth time my own energy — white.

Some might say that it's the colour of purity, innocence and morality, but in reality, white embodied nothingness. No colours can be mixed to create it and no ray of light can be absorbed in it.

It was just an everlasting emptiness of nothing.

I clenched my fists tightly. Nothing. Not even as my now white blood slowly fell onto the sheets. No pain, no thought, not even a stain.

It seemed impossible for me to grasp onto anything of worth, because what was worth? It wasn't worth when he died, it wasn't worth when I ran away, and it wasn't worth when I became 13.

So when the final string broke, I abandoned everything. No longer did the things that used to hurt me, hurt anymore, and nor did I ever hesitate again at completing my missions.

But now, 100 years later, they were dead and I was finally free.

My fists loosened, and I inspected the damage I had inflicted onto my palm. The deepest wound was caused by my middle finger and shallowest by my pinky but that one had already started to close.

It was fascinating really, watching as a white substance danced, overlapped and weaved as they tediously mended the flesh and skin together. Becca was a genius, no doubt about that, and her descendent was asleep in the room next to me.

Should I relinquish my new found freedom to pay off my debt to Becca?

Maybe I didn't have to. I could try to keep my freedom whilst helping Lexa, after all, she offered to take down the mountain with them. Knowing the history of Mt Weather, taking them down would be more than enough payment to Becca, but I would have to put myself under someone's command again.

Should I?

Well, maybe it'll be worth it so that I can turn off that forsaken code and won't ever have to submit myself again. Maybe just this one last time. My code as a warrior - no - my morals as a person demands it. He taught me that if I were to do something, I should at least do my best. I'll complete my task, whatever it takes.

And it might take a lot more than I expected though, because assuming the mountain is the same as before, my current strength would not be enough, nor would the post-apocalyptic weapons of this age.

Becca warned me that the cryostasis would decrease muscle mass, strength and stamina due to the nature of time. The substance consumed for cryostasis was made to reduce the decay of tissue, not completely stop it. After 100 years, there was sure to be considerable damage on my body. I could also tell that I wasn't as strong as I used to be because when I clenched my hand it took more energy than it did before.