Favouritism || 13

×××××

Note :- The parents are not dead (here).

×××××

83.4

That was the number Aera despised, staring at the same eight, three and four on her school academic report of this semester, making the images of every other thing smudging in her mind as she remembered how Jimin had stayed up at nights with her to teach and accompany her while she struggled with the books, and how her father bought her very first and personal phone as she promised on doing good in school.

It was the last day of school - the day they were supposed to get their reports, and now that she finally got hers, it was making her question everything she ever did. All the certificates, trophies, medals and praises in different fields, seemed worthless before her eyes.

She flinched suddenly, feeling a hand on her shoulder, "Aera, it's fine. Your score is still a lot better than mine." June said, smiling at the girl who was on the verge of crying.

"It's not," Aera mumbled, "you don't understand, my brothers always got above ninety-five, mom will scold me for being a brat and not studying properly."

"You're not them, are you?" June asked, crossing her arms on her chest, making Aera frown at her words, slowly shaking her head. "Then you don't have to worry, everybody's different."

Aera sighed, standing up lazily as the bell rang and walked out with her friend who was busy reciting a funny incident about how she once stepped on her pet dog's poop and didn't even notice until her mother scolded her for making a mess around the house. Although her story did not have much effect on Aera to make her smile, but it did divert her attention for a while.

"You're stupid." She said, scrunching her face at June who grinned shrugging her shoulders.

"Is your brother coming to get you?"

"Yeah, but I don't wanna go home," Aera sighed, "at least right now."

"Come with me." June suggested, earning a small smile from Aera, however she shook her head denying the offer.

"Thanks, but I have to go home..."

"Aw don't worry, you look weird when you're upset and sad." June said, poking her friend's puffy cheeks, making Aera groan and pull her head back. They laughed at each other, finally stopping on hearing a honk right in front of them.

"Bye," Aera said, realizing it was Jungkook's car and stepped forward, opening the door.

"Bye, Aera." She heard June, waving at her and also gesturing for her to smile.

Jungkook chuckled glancing at his sister before driving off, "How was your day?" He asked, keeping his eyes fixed on the street in the front.

"Good," Aera nodded, looking outside the window sighing, as she slowly turned to look at him, "Oppa?"

"Hmm?"

"Can we... Can we go somewhere instead of home for a while?"

Jungkook glanced at her, nodding his head as he handed her his phone, "Text hyung we'll be late." Aera smiled at him thankfully for not questioning about her sudden wish, and texted on Jimin's number as Jungkook had told her to.

"Where should we go?" He asked.

"Uh animal café?" Aera said.

"Sure," Jungkook smiled, ruffling her hair while keeping the other hand on the steering wheel. He heard Aera giggle and hold his hand, giving him a challenging look that said I won't let go.