Yachi Hitoka

It was a hot day in the middle of June when Natsu found herself standing in front of the Yachi residence. Ennoshita had gotten Yachi Hitoka's address from someone called 'Shimizu', which he had then forwarded to her. The Yachi family lived in one of the fancier apartment complexes in the middle of town—a short drive from Natsu's family home. Hardening her resolve, she rang the doorbell.

Nobody answered.

She tried again.

"Miss Hitoka?" she called. "Um, I'm a friend of Ennoshita's. I think he knows your friend Mister Shimizu? Or, er, Miss Shimizu?" Feeling a bit guilty, Natsu tried to peek through the gap in the window curtains.

An eye stared back at her, and she shrieked.

The eye started as well, its owner stumbling backward with an audible thump.

Natsu gulped. "Um, hello?"

There was a click, and the door opened—not all the way, as the chain still connected it to the frame. A short blond woman peered out from the slit. She had wrapped a blanket around her body, only her face, hair, and feet visible to Natsu. Her cheeks were pallid, and her forehead wrinkled in utter alarm. She stared at Natsu like she was some sort of otherworldly being and not the scruffy young adult she was.

Natsu tugged lightly at her knotted hair, wondering if Hitoka had somehow found her appearance unsavoury. It was true that she hadn't put much effort into her dress today, but she didn't think it would matter much.

"A-a-am I hallucinating?" Hitoka rasped. "Is that—Is that y-you, S-Shouyou?"

"No," Natsu said, as gently as she could. "Shouyou was my brother. My name is Natsu, and I'm his younger sister."

"Oh... You look... just like him..."

She chuckled. "I get that a lot. Hey, is it alright if I talk to you for a bit?"

To Natsu's disappointment, Hitoka began closing the door, slowly, in her face. "I'm s-sorry," she whispered. "But there's nothing—nothing—there's not—there's nothing I can do f-for—for you."

"Wait—"

The door shut.

Natsu sighed, running her fingers through her ponytail. Well, there goes my only lead. She had suspected this might happen, but hadn't exactly planned in advance. What was there to plan, anyway, when a failed investigation had already been done in the past? The police were—in theory—professionals. Natsu was just one person. I might have bigger things to worry about, too, like the cultists. She got back into her car but didn't start it, instead taking out her phone. I'm not sure if they'll cause any trouble for me, but they're still pretty worrisome...

She texted Ennoshita.

"Karasuno Eatery, huh?" Natsu entered the location into her GPS

"Karasuno Eatery, huh?" Natsu entered the location into her GPS. I think I remember seeing it near the school. When she had gone to high school, her friend group had hung out more in central Sendai than Torono Town, claiming that the small town was too ancient and old-fashioned for their trendy tastes. It was only a few minutes away from the Yachi residence, and she got there in no time at all, parking on the street. Gosh, this whole street is deserted. A bunch of shops are closed down, too... As far as she could see, Karasuno Eatery was the only store that was actually open.