Black

The first person Natsu thought to ask was, of course, Ennoshita Chikara. Before that, though, she would try to unwind the mystery of the Kinoshita family with Hitoka at her apartment, which was what they were currently doing now. "I don't want to make him uncomfortable," Natsu answered when Hitoka asked about her reluctance to approach Ennoshita about the matter. "And, well, I've only known him for a few weeks. There are boundaries that I'll only cross as a last resort."

"I wish I could tell you more," Hitoka said mournfully, raking her fingers through her long blonde hair, which was tied into a ponytail draped over her shoulder. "It's too b-bad that I wasn't really close with the second years."

"Hey, it's not your fault. From what I've heard, Kinoshita junior is a pretty private person."

Hitoka herself was pretty shy, so it really was no surprise that they had barely interacted in the time they were in proximity with one another. "His background is quite interesting," the older woman mused, flipping through a history book about the founders of Torono Town. Alongside the colonizers, a few Japanese people had stepped up into leadership roles. She looked between two books they'd borrowed from the library—one a dusty tome detailing Torono's history and the other a much thinner publication showcasing an interview with Kinoshita's father from a few years back. "According to this local magazine, Kinoshita's family has been living here ever since the founding. It's very possible that he is descended from one of the Japanese founders."

If anything, it just made Natsu all the more suspicious of the Kinoshita family. Mr. Kinoshita hadn't struck her as overly menacing despite his clear warning, but the man was definitely hiding something. As for Kinoshita... He was just plain weird. She leaned over Hitoka's shoulder. "Does it say who his ancestor was?"

"Sorry, but no. I'm not entirely sure, either. None of the last names match, and Mr. Kinoshita never says in his interview whose descendant he is." Hitoka pointed at a black and white photo of a stern-looking man in the tome. "But... if I had to guess, I'd say him."

"Huh... They do sorta alike... But it's a bit of a reach. Who is that guy, anyway?"

"It's not just their looks," said Hitoka. "But this man was the first conductor of the Torono railway. He led its construction and opened up trade opportunities for the town, which was what u-ultimately made it flourish."

"Oh! So Mr. Kinoshita inherited his position?"

"Maybe. It's a p-possibility."

Natsu stared harder at the magazine open in front of her—until the picture of Mr. Kinoshita was practically bleeding into the artificial backdrop. "Hitoka... Have you ever met Kinoshita's mother?" Likely not, but it was worth asking, anyway.

"No, I haven't. Why?"

"Don't you think that he looks nothing like his dad?" Natsu picked up the magazine, pointing at Mr. Kinoshita's weathered face. "And... I talked to Mr. Kinoshita, and it seemed like he didn't even remember that he had a son!"

"How can that be?" Hitoka looked shocked. "For a father to forget about his o-own s-son..."

"I don't know, but something's off."

Hitoka went to refill their water, leaving Natsu to frown pensively at the magazine. Mr. Kinoshita... Just what are you hiding? Natsu's phone rang, then, and she picked it up. "Hello, this is Hinata Natsu speaking."

"Natsu!"

"Oh. It's you, Urumi."

"You promised to hang." Urumi sounded accusatory. "Way to blow me off, girlie."

"Sorry." Natsu sighed, passing her hand through her hair. Hitoka tossed her a curious look as she returned with their water. "It's just been a hectic few days." But since they were getting nowhere with their investigation so far, she supposed a few hours with Urumi wouldn't hurt. "I'm free right now, actually. So—"