Epilogue

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but - I hope - into a better shape."--Charles Dickens

Epilogue.

March 1857.

The HMS Britannia stood docked in the harbor, waiting for the tide to come in so she could set out for the open sea. Carol stood on the pier with Eric, watching as the wind blew through the ship's flags. It had been a year since her marriage to the young officer, and it had come with its fair share of trials. Carol's health had been quite broken and took a long time in restoring. Eric had continued his battle for his sight, and at last had won the war. Light no longer hurt him, he could walk in broad daylight with not fear. His vision was perhaps a little worse than what it had been, but not enough to hinder his army career.

With his health back, he had been commissioned to the 31st Regiment of Madras Native Infantry. This was exactly why the husband and wife stood t the pier, waiting for the tide.

"Eric dearest," Carol softly said, "I believe the most wonderful part is that it is the very battalion Dr. Morris has been sent too. I shall be glad to see the old windbag once more."

Eric chuckled from her words. "I doubt he will be pleased to know you call him that."

"Oh, I never say it to his face. He wrote me and informed me not to expect idleness when we arrive, for he shall take me as his assistant." Carol paused for half a second. "If you do not mind of course," she added.

"I do not mind," Eric lovingly reassured. "In fact I am glad you will have something to occupy you while I am busy with my duties."

"Carol!" The voice of her sister made the two of them turn around.

"Ann!" She exclaimed. "Here you are at last. I was afraid you would be late."

"The Winthers are never late!" Rick stated with pride. "Where are the Carrywiths?"

"We bid them goodbye at the Hall," Eric said. "Father felt it would be easier for them if they didn't accompany us to the ship. Mamma could hardly stop from crying as it was."

"My dearest, dearest child," Lady Elizabeth wept. "I wish you would not go so far away. Cannot you stay in England? India is such a hot, such a heathen place."

"Oh, Mamma," Carol kindly chided, "you must stop crying. I shall be perfectly well. Eric will see to that. And you must be certain to write me and tell me how it is going here. Write me often, Ann dearest, do you understand?"

"Take care of my child, Eric," Lady Elizabeth commanded.

"Rest assured she is safe with me." Eric bowed slightly and kissed Lady Elizabeth's hand.

"Look for my name in the papers," Rick said with a proud grin. "One day you may read how Richard Winther has become Prime Minister."

Ann rolled her eyes at this statement, but Carol let out a giggle. "The papers will no doubt be the only place I shall hear of it, for you never write, Rick."

"I am just always very busy! It is a pity you shall not be here for my wedding. You did hear that Father gave his consent to my marrying Lord Wrayburn's daughter?"

"I heard and I am very glad. Be sure to send me a piece of the cake, and you might as well throw in a slice for Eric."

"Carol, you are a silly girl," Ann laughed. "What shall I do without you?"