Chapter 8. The End of the War.

"What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other" - George Eliot

Chapter 8.

The End of the War.

July 1856

The Treaty of Paris had been signed in March 1856 and by the summer of that year the hospitals were just about empty. Carol found herself changing out of her uniform back into the navy blue gown she had arrived in nearly two years back. It hung loose on her now, making it painfully obvious just how much weight the young nurse had lost. The hideous uniform she had worn during the long days and nights of endless work Carol decided to leave behind. She had hated wearing it anyway. Carol sincerely hoped that with time nurses uniforms would become a prettier, more comfortable garment.

Once she was through with changing and packing Carol gazed at her reflection in the window. She could hardly recognize herself. Gone was the lovely young belle of society, the perfect woman who had been carved by dutiful parents and diligent governesses and tutors. She no longer resembled Lady Carolina Belle Winther. Her face and hands were that of a working woman. Would she be able to return to society? Would she be able to blend in? Would she be able to fit in as she had once upon a time?

To be honest, Carol had her doubts. The whole idea of beautiful homes, parties, picnics in the countryside, it seemed like something of an alien world.

Taking a deep breath, Carol picked up her little bag and went in search of Dr. Morris. She found him in the courtyard, puffing away at his pipe. He heard her coming and turned to face her.

"For once it seems I am the one looking for you," Carol stated with a little giggle. "How odd it is to have no work."

"Odd indeed," Dr. Morris agreed and took a long puff. "You are departing?"

"Yes. Florence is setting sail for England today and I shall go with her. We are no longer needed here."

"If I didn't know better, I would say Miss Nightingale is sneaking off."

"I suppose she is in a way. With so much attention from te public I don't think she wants to make a grand entry. You know Florence is modesty to her soul. We will quieltly come to England without all that unnecessary fanfare. Do you sail for Scotland soon, Dr. Morris."

"Not for another month, I will wait until all the patients have been sent home. I have to say, Miss Winther, I shall be sorry to lose you. I assume you will be returning to your father's home?"

Carol's glance drooped to her feet from his words. "I'm afraid not," she informed in a defeated voice. "My father has not forgiven me for walking off the way I did."

"Is he really so angry at you for becoming a nurse, to the point of forbidding you to return?"

"I do not think it has to do with the fact that I am a nurse, but in the way I went about becoming one. Not only did I disobey him, I did it in front of the whole house, with all the servants watching. You know he doesn't take kindly to disobedience. The whole departure was a long, loud scene and Father even threatened that if I was to walk out the door I would not be his daughter, never dreaming I would disregard his threat. What is more, I so much as told him I didn't care to be his daughter, saying England was parent enough for me. I think those words were more than he could take. If I am the daughter of England, then let England house me, or so he told Ann when she informed him that I was returning home. Also, the fact that you are such a hero and we are all praised is another blow to his pride. He cannot admit he was wrong, and so it is easier for him not to see me." Carol let out a sad sigh. "To be honest, Dr. Morris, I think if I hadn't been so proud and stubborn when leaving, everything might have been different. I didn't have to make such a scene in front of everyone. I could have done it quietly and spared Father and Mother from distress. Mother is so upset that Father will not take me back. Ann wrote me that she cries and cries. I feel so much shame for all the trouble I have caused. My one comfort is I am wiser now and will try my best not to repeat such mistakes again."