Chapter 8

Lia wedged the phone in between her ear and shoulder and tried not to drop the folder she was carrying.

"I wish," she murmured into the mouthpiece, frowning at the pages in front of her. "But, no, I have to go. I've turned them down for every invitation they've thrown at me in the last few weeks. I really couldn't say no to this one."

"All right, but you leave as soon as you want to. Don't go letting them upset you," Yeji's voice cautioned from the other end of the line.

"Inevitable. They're my parents," Lia sighed. "It'll be okay. I hope. Dad's cool and Mom... Mom will get over it eventually." She frowned again. "I hope."

"Still planning on tonight?" Yeji asked.

"Yeah." Lia bit her lip. "I have to tell her, Yeji. It's been three weeks already. She hasn't even asked me where he is. Even for Elly, that's weird. I know they're not close but he's never been gone for three weeks before. It's time."

"Okay. I'm still coming over at nine."

"You don't have to. I'll be okay," Lia protested, but her heart wasn't in it. "Really." So not in it.

Telling Elly was petrifying her and she was grateful for the possibility of an outlet afterwards. At least her daughter should be asleep by nine.

"I'm coming. This is not in question."

"Okay, I'll see you at nine then. I gotta go. This paperwork is driving me bananas and I think I should get around to concentrating on it."

"Bye, Jisu. Good luck, yeah?" Yeji's breathy voice made Lia's head spin. Once the phone was hung up, she couldn't help but reflect on how much of a friend Yeji really had been lately.

Supportive in all the right places, backing off when needed, giving just the right amount of physical contact to be comforting but never making Lia feel like she was pushing for more.

Dammit, she's like the perfect woman! Why, oh why, can't you just get lucky for once?

She frowned so much these days she swore permanent creases were going to appear on her forehead. The frowning continued while the paperwork got done.

Lia decided to ease into the topic with her daughter while they were having dinner. It was easier when she had a captive audience and, anyway, if she got upset she at least had something to throw. Somehow, Lia didn't think that Elly would throw anything but figured she had a right to if she wanted.

"Elly, honey, there's something we need to talk about." Her fingers were careful and deliberate as she motioned out her sentence. She had no idea about how to go about this.

Elly looked up and cocked her head to one side. She didn't say anything in response, though. Lia considered her next sentence. "Daddy isn't going to be around here with us any more. You'll still get to see him, but he won't be living with us."

Elly chewed her mouthful thoughtfully before putting down her knife and fork.

"Are you getting a divorce?"

How the hell did her four-year-old daughter know what a divorce was?

"Yes, sweetheart, we are." Lia didn't know what else to say.

"Okay."

Wait. That was it?

"Are you okay?" Lia asked cautiously. Elly shrugged.

"Will Daddy still play with me sometimes?"

"Of course he will!" Lia exclaimed. "You can see him as much as you want."