Chapter 1: The Assignment

A Few Years Earlier...
"Marinette. Marinette Dupain-Cheng? Absent." "No wait! I'm here! I'm here!" I shout as I rush into the room and take my seat beside Adrien.

"Late again? What's your excuse this time? Your cat forgot to wake you up?" "Haha very funny Agreste. You know I don't have a cat." "I'm joking. What happened this time?" "I forgot to set my alarm." He chuckles and leans back in his seat.

~

After the bell rings we pack up our stuff and walk out of the room. "Can you believe it Mari? We're almost done with training. Hopefully they'll send us to the same location." He says as we walk back to our rooms.

"I hope so too. I just can't wait until we get to work an actual case. I'm so tired of sitting in the car just observing."

"At least we get to sit in the car together." "That's the only good thing about it." "I'm gonna miss us being together." "Hey! Look on the bright side. If we get sent to the same location then we're bound to get paired up all the time."

And luckily I turned out to be wrong. Although we work in the same company, the same location, and the same department, I've been assigned a different supervisor and I've been lucky enough not to cross paths with him. Until now...

Present Day
"Marinette, the boss wants to see you." Alya says as she walks back to her desk. "Thanks Al." I get up and make my way to the boss' office.

I knock and hear a "Come in." from behind the door. I open the door and walk in.

"Tikki? You wanted to see me?" "Yes. Please sit." I nod and take a seat across from her. "Please tell me I'm not in trouble." "Of course you're not. I have an important assignment for you." "Yes! You know I love important assignments!"

"I'm not so sure you'll love this one." "Why not?" "Because you'll need a partner. And before you try to talk your way out of it. I know you're used to going solo but-"

"Don't worry. I'm willing to have a partner." "We'll see about that.." She mumbles quietly as she slides a file to me.

"I need you and your partner to work on this case." "Hawkmoth? Isn't this that criminal that's been stealing information and money from people?" I ask and she answers with a nod.

"Shouldn't it be easy to track everything back to him?" "Not really. He's very careful about the devices he uses. We've tried so many times but the only thing we were able to find out about him is his gender."

"How do you expect us to find anything then?" "He has a pattern. It's all documented in the file." "I'll be sure to look it over." I say as I open the folder. "So when do I get to meet this partner of mine?" I add.
"Actually he should be on his way right now." I smile and nod. "Great."

It was in fact not great... Actually it was the complete opposite of great!

~Adrien~
"Plagg, Nino said you wanted to see me?" "Yeah, I have an important assignment for you." I nod and take a seat across from him. "You and you're partner will be working on the Hawkmoth case." He says and hands me the file.

"Partner? No way. I'm more of a flying solo agent." "You and her both." "Her? Nevermind I guess I can work with a partner. Is she attractive?" Plagg chuckles and nods. "Very. I'm sure you'll love her."

I should've known just from that sentence who I was paired up with. His sarcastic tone should've given it away!

"When do I meet her?" "Let's go right now." He says as he gets up from his seat and walks out.

~Marinette~
"Come in." Tikki says nervously and we both turn to the door. The door slowly opens and Plagg walks in with a big smirk. "Plagg's my partner? I thought we weren't supposed to get paired up with supervisors." I say as I turn my attention to Tikki.

"You're not. He's your partner." She says as she points back towards the door. "No! Absolutely not!" We say in sync and Plagg bursts into laughter. "Plagg!" Tikki says as she hits his arm.

"Why did you shout that? It should be an honor for you to be able to work with me princess!" "Don't call me that!" I say and turn to face Tikki. "How can you pair me up with that?!"

"You two are our best agents!" "Plagg! You told me I was getting paired up with someone attractive!" "Was that supposed to hurt my feelings Adrien?"
"Duh!" "Well unlike you, I happen to be very secure with myself." He rolls his eyes. "All the ugly girls usually are." "You little-"

Tikki turns to Plagg who still has a giant smile plastered on his face as Adrien and I continue arguing. "Maybe this was a bad idea." "We never have bad ideas sugar cube. They're the best in the business. They can do this." "I hope you're right."

_________________________________
A/N: Im so sorry this is a short chapter. It's more of a little intro and background information. The next chapter will be longer!!!