Chapter 19: Wingwoman

~Mari~
"So you guys still haven't talked?" Alya asks as we sit at our desks. I shake my head. "It's been a week M. You can't avoid him forever." "No but I'll do it for as long as I can." "Why are you sabotaging yourself?" "I'm not."

"He almost kissed you and you stopped him. If that's not self-sabotage then I don't know what is." "Did it ever occur to you that maybe I didn't want to kiss him?" "Puh-lease! You've been dreaming of kissing that boy for as long as I can remember."

"That was the old me. I haven't pictured myself kissing him since I came back." "Do you really think you can fool me M? You're forgetting I know you better than anyone else. I know ever since that night you've had actual dreams of kissing him." "Have not!" "Have to!"

"Whatever. Can we stop talking about this? It's not exactly work appropriate talk." "Ugh fine." Alya groans. "Who are you taking to the charity gala?" "That's this week?" Alya giggles. "Girl that's tonight."

"I didn't have time to find a date." "I think I know someone who would be willing to take you." "Don't even think about saying his name." "Fine I won't say his name. But just know he has green eyes and blonde hair." I crumble up a piece of paper and throw it at Alya. "Hey! I didn't say his name."

I roll my eyes and stand up. "Yeah yeah whatever. I'd rather go alone." "Go alone where?" I look up and see Adrien standing in front of me. "Adrien! Um what are you doing here?" "Looking for my partner who's been MIA for the past week. We need to talk." "Uh why would we need to talk?"

"We're now a week behind in the case. We have some catching up to do." "Last time me "caught up" it didn't really end well." Adrien clears his throat to cover up the awkward moment.

"I mean let's get to work." I say and start walking towards the conference room. Adrien follows.

"So um are you going to the gala tonight?" "Isn't it mandatory?" I ask and he nods. "How upset do you think Plagg will be if I don't show up?" "Why wouldn't you show up?" "I don't really feel like dealing with my father."

"I completely forgot it's being held at your dad's mansion this year." Adrien nods. "I mean I guess it was nice of him to host it right?" "No. He's definitely up to something."

"Maybe he wants a way to get close to you again. Just try talking to him tonight." "No thank you. I've kind of been trying to avoid awkward moments. The same as you have."

"I'm so sor-" Adrien laughs. "No it's fine Mari. I was just teasing you. I get it." "You do?" "Not really no, but if it makes you feel better I'll pretend I do."

I smile up at him. "You should go Agreste. I'm sure you'll find a way to have fun. And who knows, maybe you and your dad will make up." "I doubt it." I can't believe I'm about to say this...

"What if I be your wingwoman tonight?" "Excuse me?" He asks with a scrunched face. I awkwardly laugh. "No! Not that kind of wingwoman. I meant that I'll help you with your dad." "And why would you do that?"

"Well your dad and I get along and we..." I motion between us. "Can sometimes tolerate each other." "Well what exactly would you do?"

"If he decides to talk to you tonight, I can work my Marinette magic and charm him." I say with a flip of my hair. "Yeah I don't think your magic is good enough to charm anyone."

I hit his arm. "It is!" "It's not!" "It is!" "It's not!" "Fine! I guess you'll be forced to hand your father all by yourself."

I turn and start walking away from him. "Wait wait wait! I take it back." I turn back to face him and motion for him to continue. "Your Mari magic is exactly what I need." I smile walk back to him.

"Are you sure your date won't distract you." "Don't worry about that. I'm going dateless." "You are?" I nod. "What if we-" "Marinette!" He gets cut off with Luka walking over to us.

"Luka! Hey!" "It's been a while. How have you been?" I laugh. "We saw each other yesterday." He smiles and looks at Adrien. After greeting him he turns to me.

"I never thought I'd see you with him again." "Well get used to it. We're working on a case together."

"Right the case. Any luck with that?" "We have a few leads, but not ones that can take us far. We were actually about to work on it right now." He nods. "I'll let you guys get to it then." He pulls me into a hug. "It was nice seeing you again Adrien." "You too." Adrien says.

I turn to start walking but Adrien looks at me with a smile on his face. "What?" "Healthy relationships with your exes?" "That is a healthy relationship." "He's clearly still in love with you."

"He is not!" "Did you even see the way he looked at you?" "You're imagining things Agreste." "I don't think so." "Can we just catch up on the case?" He rolls his eyes and starts walking.

~~~

"So you basically asked him to be your date after you threw a paper at me for telling you to ask him to be your date? That makes perfect sense M." "He's not my date! I just asked him if he needed my help with his dad."

"And why would he need your help?" "When me and Adrien were close his father loved me. That didn't change when Adrien and I grew apart. Gabriel has actually been helping me with a few of my designs."

"You're still in contact with him? Even after the big fight with him and Adrien?" "That's not my business Al. Besides Gabriel isn't a bad person. He's just trying to do what's best for his son." "Did he ever stop to think that Adrien knows what's best for him?"

"Look I know his actions have no way of benefiting Adrien, but he thinks they do. You can't deny the fact that Gabriel cares about him." "Mari-" "I know I know." I say to stop her from continuing.

"Trust me I'm doing everything I can to stop this fight between them. Gabriel has become more supportive with the way Adrien's been managing his own life. And no matter how much Adrien denies it, he misses his dad."

"You won't be able to fix this within the 2 hours we're there." "I know, but I'm hoping I make it easier for them to at least talk tonight."

_________________________________
A/N: Filler chapter! I have something planned thats coming soon so keep your eyes out for that!

Also I know I mentioned something about a ball in the earlier chapters. THIS GALA IS NOT THAT BALL.

The ball will take place later on and it will have a big impact on this storyline!

Also if you read this far into my story/note...
I LOVE YOUUUUUU AND THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!