A pillar and a tsuguko

Wow, things really went down last chapter. I wonder, did the demon slayers end up winning or losing against Douma and Akaza.

___

Kiyoko stared at the scene in front of her. Blood. So much blood covered her aunt's estate. She had come here as fast as she could. Even skipping her track meet. Only to find she came too late. Taking a deep breath to compose herself, the young alpha adjusted her kitsune mask before stepping foot on the property she had become familiar with during the summers.

The smell of death and blood filled her senses. Sliding the doors open she had to stop herself from gagging. The hallway practically coated in the thick red substance. A couple of bodies laid on the floor, long gone dead. She avoided looking at the guts that were spilled next to the corpses. Kiyoko had been too late. If only she had run faster. Then everyone would have been saved.

"Aunty! Hitoka! Where are you!" She yelled out. But was met with silence. "If you're here, say something!" Panic began settling in when no one answered again. Shit. Please, please! They can't be dead. Not them. Not her only family! "Guys, please answer me!" A half sob escaped her lips. "Hey! Agatsuma, keep it down. One managed to get away." Kiyoko jolts. A warm hand lands on her shoulder.

"I know you're worried about your family. But panicking won't help," a woman with peach colored hair says. Her kitsune mask covers the top half of her face. Cyan katana unshed and ready to use. Though her gaze was forward where the back patio door was open. Bloody, small handprints were left behind.

On the ground laid a thunderbolt shaped pin. Kiyoko gasped. It was her aunt's! The one that signified her rank as a hashira in the demon slayer corps. Well, former hashira. Her aunt had retired when she revealed she was pregnant with her baby cousin. "I can't guarantee that both made it out. There are traces of a struggle. But I can say this with certainty. Your cousin may be the only one who made it out alive."

Advancing towards the bloody door, both girls look at the garden. The gate was wide open. Indicating that someone had made it out. Kiyoko didn't want to hope. Not in this world. Not when this all could be false and Hitoka really did die along with her aunt.

"H-How do you know she made it?"

"An Urokodaki is never wrong Agatsuma. A small girl ran out of here. I can still smell her." Hitoka. That was the only explanation. No other small girl lived here other than her. "Not to mention, the shed of a katana was by the entrance of the estate. No shattered sword was in sight." Kiyoko felt her senior's eyes trained on her. A blush of embarrassment appeared on her cheeks. The alpha had been so caught on the fact that a demon had attacked her other family that she forgot to check for clues.

Maho patted her back. "It's fine. I understand why you panic. But keep in mind that we also need to watch over our surroundings." The black haired alpha nods before following the water hashira out her aunt's estate. She'll come later when the kakushi are informed of the situation. As of now all she could do was focus on finding her cousin and figuring out why the hell a demon would attack this mountain.

They either had a death wish or were completely stupid. No demon can resist being in wisteria for too long. Like mosquitoes with repellent. Something doesn't add up, "I was right. Your cousin made it out alive. But I can also smell two other demons. And they are powerful. Maybe powerful enough to break through the wisteria barrier." Maho inhales. Her head tilted towards the sky. Kiyoko hums, yet she couldn't help but fear that this had something to do with their heritage.

They, along with many others, tend to hide their last names. Or their whole existence for the mere fact that if word got out of who they truly were then their lives would be in jeopardy. It wasn't like that most of the time. That is if you were lucky enough.