2 - Who Is He?

Chongyun looked him up and down, subconsciously checking him out... awkward. "Oh — uh, yes. Not for me — Um, for my little sister." Chongyun was usually shy around people he just met, but he didn't stutter like that. Yep. What a weird day.  The choppy haired boy put his hand over his mouth and chuckled, "how old is she?" He smiled, removing his hand. Damnit, he was cute. "She's ten — oh, but — turned eleven, um, soon." Chongyun blurted. "Alrighty, come on." He jerked his head to the side, signalling Chongyun to come. He started working to the corner of the section, shuffling through the books. Chongyun stared at him, until he realised that he was supposed to go with him. He went up to him and watched the boy until he pulled out a book. "Here, she'd like this one. I especially liked it when I was around her age. Hopefully she feels the same way about it. You should read it when she's done too. Maybe you'd like it." He spoke, each word going straight through one ear and out the other. It wasn't that Chongyun wasn't listening, it was just that he was too distracted to focus on what he was saying. He zoned out for a bit, until replying abruptly. "Oh, yep, mhmm! I agree, yes." The boy laughed and just gave a small, "you're quite odd. Maybe we'll see each other again soon. I should probably get going. Bye." He passed Chongyun the book and waved at him, leaving the bookstore. "Bye!" He trailed off, realising that the boy probably couldn't hear him. Damn, that was awkward. Chongyun looked at the book, then went up to the front desk, he didn't exactly know how to rent the book so he just asked if he could borrow it. Yeah, that should do it for him.

Chongyun got home, being greeted by his little brother, to his big sister, to his mother to his little sister. He got changed, had dinner, gave the book to his little sister, received a big hug and fell asleep to the sound of heavy rain. 

The next morning came, and as soon as it did, Chongyun regretted that it did. He hated waking up after a good sleep. He got up, staring at the wall for a few seconds before plopping back onto his bed. "WAKE UP!" His big sister screamed from the hall. He bolted up, looking at the time, okay, he wouldn't be late... as long as he got ready. He got up, got dressed, ate breakfast, brushed his teeth and washed his face, grabbed his bag and started walking to school. Xiangling joined him. 

"Heyyy, Chongyun!" She smiled, teeth wide. "Did you get the books?" She said, gleefully as always. Almost always. Then, Chongyun got hit with realisation bolts. He totally forgot, he got distracted by getting his sister that book and that boy. "Oh god, um, no, sorry Xiangling. I totally forgot, I got distracted and—" She was basically sending bolts out of her head. "You what?— Ugh, forget it. I'll go with you today after school. We still have time before the test." She huffed. She was a bother, but he was sometimes glad to have her as a friend. 

The day at school was always the same, except today, he couldn't get the boy out of his head. He ended up telling Xiangling, he couldn't keep anything from her, she implied something he wouldn't have expected. Nope, he didn't believe it. Nope, nope, nope. The exams just kept multiplying, well, it was almost the end of the year after all. Guess that means extra studying for them two. They obviously had to bring along some other people in their grade considering group projects were a thing. Xiangling still had her english assignment and Chongyun, Xiangling and two other boys from their science class. Chongyun didn't mind, he got along with them pretty well. Except one, he's hard to get along with.

The day went by quickly and him, Xiangling, Yanfei, Hu Tao, Xiao and Venti were walking to the bookstore. It was pretty loud, but Xiao stayed silent most of the time. Seemed he was having a one way conversation with Venti. They reached the bookstore and they all split ways to get different books each. Chongyun and Xiangling, maths. Hu Tao and Yanfei, english. Venti and Xiao, science. Xiangling and Chongyun were going through basically every inch of that section. Chongyun was hoping that the boy from yesterday would be there. So did he slip away to the fantasy section to see if he was there? Absolutely — not. Man, Xiangling is right. He is an idiot. Xiangling was wining the entire time about how much she hated maths. Finally, they all went to the back of the bookstore and sat on the bean bags, all complaining about each subject. 

Then, Chongyun heard the same soft and modulated voice he had heard the other day. He looked forwards, to see the same boy talking to a worker at the store. He stared at him before he heard a sudden "boo!" Hu Tao cried out. Chongyun let out a quick, loud gasp. "Why is your heads in the cloud? We're supposed to be studying!" The dark haired girl chuckled. "Nothing." He gave a hasty response. Xiangling looked at him suspiciously; "definitely not nothing." And suddenly, they were all interrogating him. Finally, it clicked. "You saw the guy from yesterday!" Xiangling gasped, smiling cunningly. Chongyun stuck his head into the book, covering his face, showing clear frustration. "Alright guys, hunt for Chongyun's future boyfriend!" She exclaimed. "We really should be studying —" Yanfei protested. "We have plenty of time for that, it'll be fast! There's not many people in this book store." Venti grinned, everyone getting up except for Chongyun, Yanfei and Xiao. That only left three. Hu Tao pulled Chongyun up. Nevermind, that only left two. 

Xiangling scanned the store, looking at every guy. "Alright, Chongyun, describe him for us!"  "Um, no." He gave a short response. Xiangling pouted. "Don't worry, we'll just go around asking every guy in the store." Venti chuckled. "If we can't do it the easy way, we'll do it the hard way. Come on!" She smiled, dragging Chongyun, Venti and Hu Tao followed after. First person they asked just gave a death stare, second one politely said no and that left the boy. As soon as they went up to him he gave it away. "Hello, how's your sister enjoying the book so far?" He stopped reading to talk to them. Chongyun froze. "Oh, I don't know. Um, I'll ask her later. Yeah." He stammered. "Hi, I'm Xiangling!" Xiangling introduced herself. Oh. That's it. I didn't ask his name. "Nice to meet you Xiangling, I'm Xingqiu." He replied. Damnit, really cute.