Chapter 6

Benedict was taking a stroll with the charming Lady Candice about Hyde Park. A stroll arranged by none other than the devious Lady Daisy.

Lady Candice was entertaining and sweet, Benedict could surely see a friend in her. But that was all he could see with her. The thought of anything more than friendship with her left a sour taste in his mouth.

"I wish to say something to you, my Lord," she said from beside him, wearing a sheepish expression.

"What is it?" Benedict smiled.

"I really enjoy your company. In fact, you're the first man whose company I've liked in a long time."

Benedict was speechless. What was he to say? It was clear from her expression that she had developed some strong feelings towards him, feelings he simply did not return.

"I like your company too, my Lady," he replied, his voice sounding insincere even to his ears. Not that he was lying.

She nodded, her eyes hopeful.

"Tell me about your friends, my Lady," he said, desperate to divert their conversation to safer waters.

"My friends are amazing and I love them dearly. Lady Jane and Daisy have helped me come out of my shell, I am grateful to have found them," she said, her eyes misting a little. "I have known Jane for years and it came as no surprise to me that she was such a supportive person. But Daisy did indeed take me by surprise with her kindness and warmth."

"Lady Daisy is wonderful, is she not?" Benedict grinned, unable to contain the inexplicable joy that erupted within him at the mention of her name.

"She is that. And also extremely mischievous," Lady Candice smiled. Benedict heartily agreed, although he did not voice this out. The woman had a way of getting things done precisely the way she wanted without appearing scheming.

His train of thought was interrupted when a gaggle of young ladies approached them.

"Lord Benedict, what a surprise it is to see you in this part of town," Miss Marjory smiled widely.

"I was just accompanying Lady Candice on a stroll," he smiled back as the other ladies greeted Candice.

"You must tell us how you managed to convince the elusive Lord Grant to bring you to this isolated part of Hyde park?" Miss Marjory asked, her eyes gleaming with something. Benedict did not like that expression one bit and neither did his companion, it seemed.

"I do not think the Earl is elusive at all, merely picky about what sort of people he consorts with," Candice replied, a saccharine-sweet smile on her face. Benedict was impressed.

Miss Marjory laughed loudly, clearly unsure of how to respond. After some pointless and dull banter, Miss Marjory and her companions departed, leaving them alone once again.

"The way you handled her was quite impressive," Benedict commented.

"It was unlike me, to be frank. I just could not hear her imply that we would do anything improper. Especially considering how very proper you have been so far," she replied, sounding almost disgruntled.

Benedict wanted to smile but he held back.

"I do believe you must call me Candice henceforth," she announced.

"Very well, if that is what you wish for."

Candice nodded, appeased.

"I suppose we should head back now, the hour grows late," he said.

"I suppose." Again, Benedict heard the disappointment in her voice. The last thing he wanted to do was to disappoint such a lovely young woman but there was little else he could do given his predicament.