Chapter 7

Jane took in a deep breath. She raised her hand, ready to knock but she lost whatever courage that she had gathered. She squeezed her eyes close.

"You can do this," she whispered to herself. "How hard can it be? Just ask him and he'd help you."

"Help you with what?" came an annoyed and decidedly male voice.

Jane gasped and opened her eyes in a blink, seeing a wall of brown waistcoat and undone cravat.

"Lord Arlington," she murmured in greeting, embarrassment suffusing her body.

"Lady Benson."

She said nothing. Jane couldn't for the life of her understand why she was having difficulty speaking to this man given how she was usually so at ease around people.

"You did want to speak with me, yes? Is that not what you were muttering outside my study?"

Jane nodded mechanically.

He moved towards the side, signalling her to enter. Her eyes widened. She could not possibly be alone in a room, sans chaperone at that. Not with this man, at least.

"I will not ravish you," came his bored voice.

"Of course not," she said quickly and entered his study. It was a study, after all. Nothing untoward could happen here, could it?

He pulled a chair for her and sat across from her.

But when she saw him sit there, a little too casually for her liking...a little too familiar, a few stands of his black hair were resting against his brow, giving him a rakish look and his lazy smile only added to the effect. She decided that this man could tempt a nun into sin with ease. There was something about the way he sat with his long legs spread wide, leaning against the back of the chair that made her feel that he would sit this way with a lover, his arms looking welcoming...

"Is everything alright? Are you in trouble?" Came his brisk voice, rudely interrupting her train of thought. But it was for the best, she couldn't fall for Lord Lucas of all people. It was preposterous.

"No," she replied, clearing her throat delicately.

He raised one brow, silently asking her to go on.

"It is about Daisy and Lord Grant."

"What about them?"

"I have come to the conclusion that the Earl is taken with Daisy."

"Oh?"

"I suspect that you are already aware of this."

"I assure you I was never informed of such a thing."

Jane raised a brow this time, not believing him.

"Be that as it may, I am fairly certain that I am right. I usually am about such things."

"Of course, you are," he murmured and Jane saw the smile play about his lips. It annoyed her that he was not taking her seriously.

"You must take me seriously, my lord."

"Why?" he asked condescendingly. Jane prayed for patience.

"Because Candice has developed strong feelings for Lord Benedict and everything is a mess!"

"She is a smart girl, she will get over him," he said dismissively.

"Not until she hears from Lord Benedict himself that they do not have a future together."

"So, what role am I to play in all this?" he asked.

*****************************

Luke was incredulous. What the hell could he do if Lady Candice was infatuated with his good for nothing friend? Did Jane really expect him to play matchmaker and the like?