The Mechanic

When Sam woke the next morning, it was to the feeling that he had slept better than he had in a very long time. He couldn't even remember having a nightmare. Standing up, he stretched and glanced over at his brother's bed. The sight that greeted him made him grin. Dean's large form was entangled in Baby's smaller one. Their legs were entwined and his arms circled her back while her head laid underneath his chin. Both of them had content smiles on their faces as they slept. Grabbing his phone, he snapped a quick picture, before slipping out of the room to grab breakfast.

By the time he returned, the pair had woken, and were on different sides of the room from each other. Baby sat on the edge of Dean's bed, looking guiltily over at him where he was lacing up his boots angrily on the couch. He refused to meet her gaze, choosing to focus all his attention on his task.

"Do I want to-"

"No," the two chorused.

Sam laughed, setting the box of donuts and tray of coffee cups on the table beside the research he had shoved to the side before bed.

"So, what's the plan today? Just go talk to this Lucas guy and see if we can get him to tell us anything about the transformed cars?"

"Basically," Dean nodded, heading over to grab one of the cups and a donut.

"What if he realizes why we're asking and refuses to cooperate?" Baby piped up, waiting until Dean had moved away from the table to get her own fuel.

When Dean made no indication he was going to answer her question, Sam spoke.

"We'll deal with that issue if it comes up. We're good at being subtle about this kind of questioning, though, so we should be fine."

Baby nodded in understanding, nibbling at her donut as she glanced hesitantly at Dean.

"Okay, seriously, is there something I should-"

"No!" they both interrupted Sam once more.

"Let's go," Dean jumped up from the couch, pulling on his jacket and securing his gun in his jeans before heading for the door.

Sam looked at Baby questioningly, but she just shook her head and followed her owner out the door, leaving Sam to bring up the rear. It didn't take long to reach the mechanic's garage on main street, though Dean did grumble it would be faster if their car was actually a car. Baby visibly bristled at his words, a low purr sounding briefly before quieting down again. Sam opened his mouth to question what had happened while he was getting breakfast again, but was interrupted by someone else's voice.

"Hello, and welcome to Foster Mechanics. How can I help you folks?"

An olive skinned man with almond shaped hazel eyes and dark hair grinned at the trio, grease smeared on one of his cheeks and his clothes.

"You Lucas Foster?" Dean asked.

"That'd be me," the man nodded, still smiling, "although most folks around here call me Luke."

"Mind if we ask you a few questions, Luke?" Sam inquired.

"Not at all," Luke shook his head.

"We heard there's a lot of cars going missing lately. Know anything about that?"

"Sure," the mechanic nodded. "I'm the only mechanic in town, fixed up basically every car anyone owns, so 'course I heard that the cars were goin' missin'."

"You're the only mechanic in town?" Sam repeated.

"Mm-hm."

"It's a bit strange that nobody seems to know what happened to the cars, don't you think?" Dean pressed.

"I mean, I guess," Luke shrugged. "Pers'nally I don' think they're missin'."

"You don't?"

"Nah. I think they're lyin'."

"What makes you say that?" Baby piped up.

"It's a small town. Ain't no way nobody's seen nothin' 'bout the cars. They's not exactly the types of cars to blend in."

"Do you work alone, Mr. Foster?" Dean asked.

"Please, call me Luke. And yeah, I do. Like I said, only mechanic in town."

"Well, I think that'll be all. Thank you for your time," Sam nodded at him.

"'Course. 'M happy to help."

The trio exited the garage, leaving Luke to his work. The second the door shut behind them, Luke dropped his happy façade and fake accent, picking up the phone and dialing a number.

"Mr. Puckett sir? They stopped in, just like you said they would. No, I didn't tell them about you."