~the surrender of your soul...so willingly ~

one

It all happened in slow motion.

The widening of her father's horrified eyes

The inhumane wail of her mother.

The desperate gasp of her uncle.

The heartbroken roar of her...she didn't even know what to call him anymore.

The scream of denial from her first true friend.

And lastly...

The flash of green lightning hastening towards her.

:3

Ascella stood beside Hermione, them holding hands tightly. The ravenette was fearful for her best friend. She knew that something bad was going to happen tonight, she could feel it. Racing through the room, surrounded by shelves and shelves full of prophecies concealed in little, glowing orbs.

She and the brunette met gazes and nodded, one darting after Harry, the other towards Luna, an agreement they both would need them. Especially when evil cackles of the Death Eaters chasing them grew louder.

The group of close friends suddenly found themselves in a huge stone, circular room with an enormous arch in the centre.  A shudder of terror ran down Ascella's spine, feeling like the air had taken on a tension right before a thunderstorm hit the earth. She and Luna exchanged a glance, an unknown feeling passing between them. Fear? Concern? Acceptance?

Everyone came to a halt, when black smoke almost filled the air, separating into multiple lines before hitting the floor and revealing their chasers, Voldemort's inner circle.

Across the room, for the first time in years, Ascella's bottom lip trembled slightly, meeting her mother's orbs. They were practically identical, the known silver shine of the Black family eyes. She was surprised to see the slight spark of panic, confusion and...of love.

The ravenette swallowed her building anxiety as next to her...stood her father.

But she couldn't bear to look at him. What kind of man abandons his daughter to serve a monster who wanted the death of so many? The death of witches and wizards just like her best friend.

Lucius Malfoy, her uncle by marriage, started in on Potter, demanding he hand over the glowing orb in his hand, becoming more and more threatening.

Suddenly, jets of white smoke burst into the room, landing opposite the Death Eaters, one right beside the green eyed teen.

"Get away from my godson," Sirius Black growled loudly, throwing a good punch at the Lord of the Malfoy House and Ascella couldn't help but wince at the sharp crack of bone.

Then it happened.

Bolts of different coloured lights were flying around, lethal and fatal, half with every intent of death and half with the goal of capture. Somehow, Ascella found herself back to back with Potter and behind his godfather. She was keeping an eye on Hermione and Luna as she and he fired off defensive and offensive spells to keep themselves safe.

It might have been at least five minutes before everything went...wrong.

Ascella was one who saw it coming, the emerald light flying towards Black, akin to Potter's eyes, she truly didn't know why she thought that.